Stopping Heartbreaks (A Niall Horan Fanfiction)

“Niall, I’m home!” I said gracefully as I pranced into the flat him and I shared. I took my bag and set it on the counter a long with my phone. I held a lingering glance around the living room until my eyes landed on Niall who was sitting on the couch with his head in his hands, looking at the floor. I slowly walked into the living area and sat next to him, patting him on the back. “You okay?” I asked. He seemed like he was crying, or was hurt.

He hadn’t answered me. He sat there with his head in his hands. I don’t know how long we sat there, but it ended with him looking up at me with tears in his eyes. “How could you?” he choked out.

“How could I what?” I asked pondering in confusion. He gave me a look of disbelief and then stood up. He stood in front of me and crossed his arms across his chest and looked away from me.

“You know what!” he spat. Even though he was looking away from me, I could tell he was tearing up. I then realized what he was talking about, and I was upset he found out, and then I knew that I was about to leave Niall brokenhearted.

Niall was my best friend; I didn’t want to break that strong relationship we had. We have been friends for three years now, ever since our parents introduced us. It was quite nice since I haven’t had many friends over the years. Niall and I had a different kind of relationship, we were closer than best friends, but nothing more, but that was until four weeks ago.  

“Niall, I am so sorry!” I stood up and took a step forward to him only to have him tale a step down. A tear streamed down his cheek but I quickly wiped it away with my thumb. So much hurt was expressed in his beautiful eyes. I couldn’t stand to see him like this. I couldn’t stand to see him hurt. It hurt me. And it hurt me even more because I was the one who had done this to him.

I wished I had never done any of this. I really wished I could go back in time and didn’t make that stupid mistake. I would do anything to go back in time…to not hurt my best friend.

He stepped back again so he was against the wall by the television. He slipped down the wall so he was then sitting against it. He looked down and began crying.

“Niall, Please, I never meant for any of this to happen! If you would just let me explain, I promise I-”

“Stop!” he growled giving me a salty look. I was taken aback by his response but soon understood how much I had hurt the poor Irish boy. He didn’t deserve heartbreak. He was too innocent for that. He was an amazing boy and he deserved better. He deserved the world.

He stood up and lightly pushed me aside and began pacing around the room. “Niall, I am sorry, you deserve the world, just leave me now.” I demanded.

He looked up at me and nodded. “You’re right.” He sighed. He grabbed his bag off of the couch. He put it on his shoulder and walked to the door. He slipped his shoes on and turned around, giving me one last look. I had tears in my eyes, I felt really bad. I just wanted him to know I was sorry. He grasped the door handle and walked out. That’s it. My childhood friend was gone. And I actually thought I was falling in love with him. But I messed it up. I broke his heart, he would never forgive me.