THE BEGINING

In the late 1800s, Thomas Otto and his family moved into a mansion at the corner of Eaton and Simonton streets in key west , Florida now known as the Artist House.The Ottos were known to be stern with their servants, sometimes even mistreating them.It was the treatment of suh Haitans servant that provides a twist in this story.
This woman was hired to take care of their son,Robert.One day,Mrs.Otto supposedly wittnessed her practicing blak magic in their backyard and fired her.
Before she left, the woman gave Robert a life like doll wich stood 3 feet tall, had buttons forr eyes,human hair(that's to be Robert's hair),and was filled with straw.
He took it with him on shopping trips in to town.The doll had a seat at the dinner table where Robert would sneak it bites of food when his parents weren't looking.Robert would even be tucked into bed with the boy at night.Soon this innocent relationship took on a strange nature.
Soon after,Robert chose to be reffered to by his middle name,Gene,after being scolded by his mother.He told her that robert was the doll's name not his.Gene was often heard in his tou room having conservations with robert.Gene would say something in his childish manner and responses could be heard in much lower voice.Sometimes Gene would become very agitated ,worrying the servants and his mother.She would on occasion, burst in to find her son cowering in a corner while Robert sat perched in a chair or on the bed glaring at him.this was only the begining.