A Tribute to Kate

What a stalker I must seem like now.

Hiding behind the walls and keeping an eye on Kate. I must admit, it's kind of what I do best. That's because she's never caught me, not once in the four months I've been doing it. See. I'm an expert. I was, however, spotted by Dan. Once. I made sure not to bring a mirror after that. That dude always has his eyes open for... shiny things. It doesn't count, though, because he claims that he only saw a "streak of dark hair".

Kate walked along with Mara and Ness to science class while I pretend to take my time getting things from my locker, all the while staring through the small holes at them. Staring, staring, staring... Until I realized that my locker was already empty. Quickly, I closed my locker and hurried towards Science, the only class I had with Kate.

"Hey, Jo, wait up." said a familiar voice from behind. Wow, Dean isn't running late. A rare occurrence.

"Hey, Dean." I said without taking my eyes off Kate. Dean noticed.

"Seriously, Joey, this is getting creepy."

"Who cares?"

I walked in the lab a few seconds after Kate did. I sat down beside Ness -she was my lab partner. She faced the other way, where Mara and Kate were sitting. She said it was unfair that they got to be partners while she was stuck with a guy. I, of course, saw it as an advantage. I tried (and was quite successful) to be good friends with Ness. Now? She knows about my obsession.

"Er, Vanessa?" I whispered.

"What?" She replied rather lazily.

"I've decided to do it today."

"Finally! I was beginning to think that you'd never say that."

See, Ness offered to introduce me to Kate a few weeks ago, and I wasn't quite ready with my acting yet... Well if we put it more accurately, I wasn't ready for the shocked and disgusted face I'm probably going to get when Kate hears I've been stalking her for months.

I felt my stomach twist when Ness faced the girls. She was just about to call them when -

"Katerina and Samara? Ms. Cortez is asking for you two." Ms. Madeline said. Strange. She just appeared.

Kate and Mara walked out of the room giggling. Well, there goes my chance.

Of course, Science started more boring than usual, now that I don't have a Kate to observe. But then after half an hour, Kate and Mara walked in with lab equipment and Mara said they would be the speakers for today's experiment.

I got jumpy.

Now I can stare without looking creepy -I'd just look like I'm really paying attention.