When Life Falls Apart

The screams were around her, the screams were what she had woken up to. It was a nice cloudy morning in Garden Grove. Until Jessie had woken up to her parents arguing. Jessie rubbed her tired eyes and looked at the clock; it was 6:00 am. She got out of her bed, and stood beside the window. She watched the clouds move as the birds flew by. Her face looked down at the floor, her bright gray eyes looked watery and were about to tear up. Jessie realized that she had to talk to her parents and tell them that needed to stop arguing.

Jessie walked out of her bedroom and SLAMMED the door shut! She stomped her way down the stairs, as she opened her parent’s bedroom door. She saw her mother’s puffy bloodshot eyes.

     “Ok I’m really tired of this, if you can’t help me pay for our bills then just move out!” Mrs. Jensen yelled crossing her arms.      

     “Why do I always have to pay? You never help me and you don’t have time for Jessie and I. Do you have another family?”

     “Well sorry, I’m always just stressed from work and I need alcohol!” Mr. Jensen yelled back with anger. “I’ll ask my boss for a day off every Wednesday and Friday to be with you and Jessie.” Mr. Jensen said calmly while trying to control his anger.

Jessie was just there standing beside the door as she watched her parents argue, she was getting tired of it. Jessie’s hands were clenched in a fist so hard that she could feel her fingernails digging into her palms. She finally had the guts to yell at them.

     “Mom and Dad just please stop! Jessie yelled as she walked over to her dad’s computer table and banged her hand really hard. “When are you two ever going to stop? Why do I always have to hear you two scream at each other?”

Mrs. Jensen walked over to Jessie and finally managed to say

     “Jessie, I’m filing a divorcement with your dad.”

The expression on Jessie’s face was blank, as tears streamed down her cheeks.

     “B-but mom!” Jessie exclaimed as she break down at the floor crying with her hands covering her face.

     “Jessie this is for your own good.” Mrs. Jensen said as she bent down to help Jessie up.

     “Yeah Jessie.”  Mr. Jensen said walking over to Jessie and Mrs. Jensen as he wiped Jessie’s tears.

Thank goodness Mr. and Mrs. Jensen stopped arguing. Everybody grew silent. Jessie looked at the clock; it was 7:30 am. Jessie quickly ran upstairs to take a shower. She brushed her teeth and got in the shower. While she was in the shower she just couldn’t stop thinking about her mom and dad’s argument and that they’re going to file a divorcement. Jessie had been in the shower long enough just thinking. She did not even realize it. Jessie’s mom knocked on the door.

     “Jessie honey, you’ve been there for about thirteen minutes now. You’re going to be late for school, and your dad and I still need to take a shower.” Mrs. Jensen said impatiently. Jessie sighed.

     “Ok Mom.” Jessie said as she wrapped her towel on her head and put on her robe. She quickly ran to her room. She dried her hair, and walked over to her closet. She got a pair of light wash jeans, black tank top and a red cardigan. She dressed up as fast as she could and walked over to her study table. She grabbed her books, review sheets and shoved them inside her blue backpack, as she leave her room to go downstairs.

     “Honey, I made you breakfast!” Mr. Jensen said while pouring syrup on the pancakes. Jessie gave her dad a small smile, while putting her backpack down on the floor and taking a seat.