Black Fog

I have always loved the woods and the nature inside of it, but recently nature hasn't returned the love.

It's a Wednesday morning and in the middle of July. I'm a soon to be junior in high school in the state of Montana so my summers in high school were limited before I would have to head out to college. I have lived in Montana my entire life with my parents that is until my mother died when I was only 13. My fathers world was shattered along with mine when he committed suicide only a month ago. I'm 17 now and I live on my own at the house where I have always lived with the support of my grandparents for help paying bills. Once I graduate I will be gone from this hell hole people call home.

My name is Melanie Carmichael and no I haven't had a boyfriend before nor have I ever been kissed but I have always dreamed of my fairytale life.

I have a job working at the small town of Buffalo Creeks drug store. Not many people stop through but it's still a well paid job. Today is my day off and I'm heading out in the woods for some quite time to myself. The roads to the woods are winding roads that can be very deadly if not cautious. I filled my small backpack with my iPod and headphones along with a water bottle and my phone. I headed toward the first tree linings and started to work my small body through all of boulders that surrounded the trees. In Montana there is always something moving but I heard I have never heard before. I was about half a mile into the woods when I heard a howl that was not a coyote but what could have been a wolf. Small goosebumps appeared on my arms and a shiver shook my whole body. The creature sounded very distant from where I was so I kept going on my journey. Two miles into my hiking I could feel eyes burning into the back of my head. My body stiffened and I knew better than to make any sudden movements. I had to know what was staring at me so I turned around as slowly as possible and came face to face with an abnormally huge jet black wolf. I closed my eyes and waited for my cruel death to over come me. A single tear slid down my face and I could feel the ground being pressed down and I heard small sniffles that weren't my own. The wolf must have been smelling me because I could feel something wet touching my arm and just as soon as it was there it was gone and I opened my eyes quickly to see nothing but trees and earth.

Fear and adrenaline crashed through my body and I sprinted as fast as I could to my car. When I got to my car I fidgeted with my keys to quickly unlock it and threw myself into the drivers seat to try and calm myself with what just happened. Why was I not killed? God must have wanted me to suffer because right now I would really enjoy death to come over me. I decided to just calmly breathe and start my car.

When my car reached my house I was in a dead sprint to get from my car to my front steps. The time was about 5 and with all that had happened I decided to just sit on the couch and watch movies for the rest of my night. All that went through my mind was the eyes of the wolf that seemed to burn straight through me. With that in my mind, I had to go to sleep so I headed up stairs to my room, took a quick shower and went straight to bed. When I awoke I looked at my phone on the charger and the time was 4 AM. I groaned and heard what could have been the reason I woke up. A wolf was howling in what sounded was right next to my window. I quickly pulled the covers over my head and went into the fetal position. After what seemed like an hour in this position, I drifted off into a deep sleep until I woke up to my blasting alarm that went off at 9 saying its time to get reAdy for work. The hours I worked for the drug store were from 11 until 6 so it was the perfect job.

I showed up to work early as always and went straight to the back where I waited for my boss to tell me what the plan was for today.

The work day was slow as it usually was and I decided to stock the medicine shelves to make my half hour left go by quicker. My boss was being generous today and said I could go ten minutes early and she would lock up. I had nothing better to do so I said I would lock up and she could go since she worked for two weeks straight including weekends.