Chapter 1

From the time we have our first crushes, I'd like to think that there's a minute part of us that sparks to life. How else could we attempt to explain otherwise inexplicable new behaviours? We get almost completely out of touch with the opposite gender – males and females. We begin to distinguish between the two more and more. Females start to lie about things without knowing it. Males have to question every little thing about females and quickly get tired of it. And the divide just grows and grows until it turns into bad relationships, worse arguments and even worse breakups. Then the questions really begin. Girls begin to nit-pick; boys begin to tire of the little mind games; girls begin to tire of the "mixed signals." It's a vicious cycle that we can't seem to stop or get rid of because we don't even really know how it started. Now it's become well-programmed into us. It's been hard coded into that new minute part.

  It's really quite a shame isn't it? You know, people speculate that this particularly complicated situation could be avoided by just being honest with one another; yet most people can't handle the naked truth. What a paradox, eh? We then find ourselves asking if it's truly that simple. I mean, is it ever really that simple? Of course it isn't! Why? Because it's not supposed to be. Life would be really, really boring if it was. But enough of the confusing, philosophical mumbo-jumbo...let's get down to the nitty-gritty.

  Guys have been trying to understand girls since the first time a girl told her boyfriend "I'm fine." Over time, girls have created this defence mechanism wherein they speak and act cryptically so that boys would be forced to de-crypt, decode and decipher their every word, gesture and facial expression. Guys are being tested from the minute they say the first 'hello,' and every day of their relationships with girls. Yikes! There's always the same old question though: "What does she want from me?" It's sad that girls don't seem to know by now that guys are well aware they're being evaluated. Either that or they think that knowing they're being tested should make it easier to succeed. Whichever the case may be, I don't think guys really get a fair shot. Girls say something and want guys to read the fine print, or say one thing that's the complete opposite of what they think or feel for the sole purpose of finding out if guys 'care' enough to realize or detect their true feelings. I'm all for "keeping him guessing," but seriously ladies, we ought to applaud their efforts, or at least congratulate them for sticking with it. It must get annoying and confusing sometimes.

  Ladies, I'm not trying to pick on you here, but let's get something straight: No human being can completely understand another. I doubt we'd even ever come close. Don't expect men to understand women completely. Again, if we did ever completely understand one another, the world would be such a dreary, dull place. Guys tend to be much more simple-minded than girls. (No I do not mean dumb). They see less variables than we do – way less. A guy friend of mine says it's so easy to please guys it's almost laughable. Why? Because as generic as that may sound, it's probably true. Guys are pretty straightforward. Of course, they can never see it our way – it's really demanding to please a guy. We have to read in between their lines as much as we make them read in between ours. It's no trouble at all for a guy to say "it's easy to please a guy" because he's a GUY! He thinks essentially the same way as every other guy does. Likewise, a girl can easily say "girls are so simple" (except for girls like me who think that's BS) because she is a girl, and therefore thinks as such.

   The conclusion here is as plain as day: girls think differently than guys do. You're probably thinking that's really, REALLY obvious, but think a bit harder and you'd probably realize that though we may know that already, we don't really act as if we do. We don't seem to fully grasp the concept. It's like a child trying to understand an adult; they are two diametrically opposite perspectives that may think they have one another figured out, when they truly don't (Hate to be the one to break it to ya, kids). An adult may think he/she understands a child because he/she was a child once, but in a lot of cases that's hardly true. The truth is that they may know some things about each other, but definitely not everything. I don't think we really comprehend the implications of an observation like that either. Girls think differently than guys. Therefore they act differently, and by extension, they LOVE differently.

   Of course, both males and females alike can and do make the mistake of forgetting that. In fact, on both sides, some people have a propensity to go as far as to compare the different ways in which each gender loves. Girls seem to think they love 'harder' than guys do, and that guys should step up to the plate. Guys seem to think that they love just as hard as girls do, and that women need to lower their expectations to more attainable, realistic standards in order to realize that. I think the reality is that neither side is really correct. It is not about loving more – it shouldn't even be a contest. It's about loving differently. The point is really that a guy loves a girl, and a girl loves a guy. In the end that's all that really matters; because though the method may be different, the end result should always be the same.

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

A/N: hey guys, this is a kind of book i don't find too often here, and i guess you can already see i've got some pretty controversial topics started, and ive got much more to say. comment, like, vote, share, all that fun stuff, the more you read the more i write. also leave any questions you have in the comments and i just might pick a few to write about. see you next chappie guys. xx

CeCi