Winning Big

Oh my god.

I quickly inhaled the crisp night air before becoming frozen, unable to speak or move. Even my aching bare feet couldn't convince me this was real.

I snapped out of my shocked state and crouched down over the patch of concrete I called my 'home' and shoved my icy hand into the rucksack checking to see that what I had seen wasn't just an illusion.

I pulled out piles of 1000 dollar notes onto the ground as my eyes dilated. Did someone leave - what could be
$100,000 - lying in my alleyway! It couldn't possibly of been intentional. I suddenly jumped to my feet and scanned the perimeter of the area. No one... Maybe they're coming back for it. Oh jeez, if they see me with this kind of money I'll be killed! It's probably some gangs payment!

Wait a minute. There no one here right now. Right now. So I should run away right now. Right? My whole life I'v been poor. Sleep on the streets, wondering where I'll find my next meal. I deserve a little bit of luxury. Besides I can probably help the world more then some colt.

But I had to go now.

With adrenaline pumping through my veins I shoved the notes back into the black bag and ran. Actually I sprinted. I wasn't sure where I was going but I knew I had to get away. Despite my lack of education I wasn't stupid. I knew if I got caught with this money I would be killed.

After about 5 minutes of frantic running and sideways looks I finally stopped outside a motel a few blocks down from the alleyway I had found the cash. I glanced down at my shabby appearance. My ripped clothes, grubby feet and wild hair would seem a little strange paired with $100,000! I calmed my breathing and composed myself. No one could know. I grabbed one note out and walked in head down low into reception. A redheaded overweight lady stood staring at me from behind the desk.

"Um, Hi, do you have any spare rooms I could stay in tonight?" I said.

"Sorry, we aren't a charity. We dont guve rooms to the homeless." She spoke before returning to her computer.

I let a little grin slip from under my beard. If only she knew I held more money then she would make in a year.
I placed the note on the desk.

"Excuse me, I hope you have change." I said.

She glanced up at me quickly before entering a certain state of confusion and shock. Much like what I had just experienced before. For a few more awkward seconds she stared at me before grabbing the note and scrounging around the till for the change.

"Umm, yes of course, sorry sir, you'll be shown to your room soon."

She handed me 8 hundreds, 3 fifties, one dollar and the keys to room 68. A complex feeling of happiness, satisfaction and guilt filled me at that moment. Finally, after 54 years of hell I was gifted with a bed and a place to stay. Surely one of the greatest accomplishments I had ever achieved. But with stolen money. I thought I would never forgive myself.

If only I could've know then, 6 years ago that everything happens for a reason. I was a good man with a rough start and for whatever reason the universe saw that. I was gifted with $100,000 dollars in the belief that I would do only good with it. And I have.

I have opened up so far 7 shelters for the homeless and set up a free education system for every poor city in the western world. Tomorrow I'm speaking in New York about my life in the hope of inspiring the underdogs of life to keep fighting for happiness. This will be streamed live on national television! Some people disagree with my choice of taking the money an I cannot change that but I know that what I did was for the better. I have changed the world because of that one fateful choice and no one can deny me that.