one shot

c a i d e n

"I hate Professor Matthews," Ryan declares, pushing open our dorm door quickly. I look up from my laptop, watching in amusement as Ryan kicks the door behind him and practically stalks in our room, a piece of paper held tightly in one hand.

I smile slowly, pushing my laptop off my lap and sitting up, "Oh, yeah?" I ask, smiling turning into a full grin when Ryan huffs out a 'yeah' and drops onto his bed, "What happened?"

Ryan stands up from his bed again and walks across the dorm, going to the small mini-fridge in the corner. Popping it open, Ryan crouches down and looks in for a few seconds, before groaning loudly, shutting the fridge, and standing up. He tugs his fingers through his messy brown hair and lifts the papers, jerking them towards me.

"This," he states simply, taking the few steps to come right next to my bed. Ryan holds the papers out to me, hazel eyes narrowed down it, "Read it and weep, Caid. I know I did."

I resist the urge to laugh at Ryan's antics and take the paper from his hand, squeezing his fingers lightly before pulling back. I unfold the paper, smooth out the wrinkles on the top of my bed, and gaze down at it. It only takes me a few minutes to realize it's a test - and a math one at that. I know math has never been Ryan's strong suit, and he's complained plenty about the introduction to math class that all college freshmen have to take.

The big 'D' is written on the top of the paper, large and mocking. I know why Ryan's upset instantly. One bad grade wouldn't be too bad, but this is probably the third or fourth bad grade Ry has gotten in the math class. He tries - I know he does - but math is just something that doesn't really click with Ryan.

"All right," I say, putting the test onto my desk. I shut my laptop and push my textbook aside, instantly reaching over to my schoolbag and pulling out a math textbook, "What chapter are we on, again?"

Ryan stares at me for a minute before he realizes what I'm suggesting. Before I even have time to flip open my textbook, Ryan groans again and plops down onto the edge of my bed, pushing my feet away gently. He leans against the wall and pinches the bridge of his nose, looking completely and utterly exhausted.

"Caiden," he whines, drawling out all the syllables in my name. I can't help but smile, because I don't think I'll ever get used to the feelings I get when Ryan says my name, "I just spent two hours getting lectured in math. I don't need any more."

The smile falls off my face and I nod quickly, fingers nimbly shutting the heavy book on my lap. Ryan and I fall into silence, and I'm not sure what to say. I didn't want to force Ryan to study more math; I had just wanted to help him. After everything Ryan had done for me, I just wanted to be able to help him pass his class.

Ryan frowns, hazel eyes scanning my face, "Caid," he says gently, pushing himself up until he's laying right next to me. Ryan laces our fingers together and squeezes, "I think we're on chapter seven. I might be wrong, though, 'cause I've barely napped through most of the lectures."

"I don't want to make you do too - "

"Come on," Ryan says, easing the book open again. He begins to flip through the pages, an easy smile taking place on his lips, "I've got a genius boyfriend who wants to tutor me. I'd be an idiot not to agree."

"I love you," I say, stopping Ryan's hand when he reaches a specific section on analytical geometry in our Precalculus I textbook.

Ryan leans over, hair hanging across his forehead, and shoots me one of the easy grins I've fallen in love with, "Love you, too, Caid."

-

Three hours later, and I've began to understand the trouble Ryan's high school math teachers went through.