Prologue

My name is Ava. I was born in the year 2847. I live with my mum, dad and brother and our dog, Oliver. Oh, and I live underground. 

                                                              ***

   A little over 800 years ago a new drug had been found, it could do something extraordinary. It could heal people who were on the brink of death, no matter what the cause, but after no time at all people began realizing that if you were not suffering or unhealthy before you took it, that it was better than any other drug that ever existed. Police struggled to stop the growing numbers of people using it.

   Things went too wrong, too fast. The drug changed people. It did not affect everybody who took it, but most of them. The changed became impossible to contain and they developed an appetite that could not be sated by conventional means.

   Soon they had realized that the ones who hadn't changed could provide them with everything they could possibly need. We were hunted and we had no other choice but to run, we hid underground whilst the changed lived their eternal lives above ground.

   When there were no more humans to feed off of they began to turn on others outside of their kind, each species against the others. Our only defense, their inability to reproduce.

   Trained fighters are sent to the surface on a regular bases, never expected to return. Their mission: kill as many as they can before they, themselves, meet their own grisly end.

   Our hope: to push down their numbers in the hope that, one day, we can return to the surface and rebuild our lives outside of these dark damp walls.