Chapter 20

...

     I wake up, dazed. I regain my senses slowly: I can feel something soft underneath me, can hear whispers that seem to bounce off of walls, can barely make out a shadowy figure moving around. Abruptly, I sit up and my eyes snap open. I look around and, after a moment of shock, panic.

     I'm in a hotel room. I grip the comforter thrown across the bed and let the fabric rest in my hands. How did I get here? Across the room is a man who's speaking into a cell phone. My hands start to shake and the blanket falls from my fingers. Who is he?

"Of course they'll be looking for her," he whispered into the phone, "They've probably already got search and rescue parties on every corner."

     Me. He's talking about me. I glance around the room again, still a bit bewildered by the situation, and lean back onto a pillow. I don't want him to know that I'm awake, but he'll turn around at some point anyway, won't he? I slowly make my way out of the bed and my feet shuffle once they hit the floor. Instantly, he stops talking and turns around, hanging up the phone once he sees me.

"Well," he says in a gruff voice, in a tone that almost makes it sound as if he's laughing, "Good morning, sleeping beauty."

     He stands slowly, pushing the chair away from himself as he does, and I back up. Who is he, and why am I here?

"Don't be afraid," he said, either clearing his throat or chuckling after he speaks.

     I make my way back to the bed, inching myself as close to the headboard as I can, but he keeps coming closer. He was tall and big, so his footsteps echoed through the entire room and seemed to augment greatly when he got closer. His eyes were dark, his nose was prominent, and his skin was glowing, sweating almost. The second he sat down on the bed, my heart rate skyrocketed and my jaw trembled.

"I'm not going to hurt you."

      That wasn't so reassuring. He laughed again and scanned his eyes over me, taking his time before meeting my eyes again. I glanced at the sheets. What is he going to do to me?

     Suddenly I felt very aware of the phone that rested in my back pocket, and was shocked that he didn't remove it when I was unconscious. I only prayed that I would get a chance to use it to call Harry, or the police, or the girls. 

"What?" he asked, seeing that my mind was clearly drifting elsewhere.

"Who are you?" popped out of my mouth shakily before I was even able to process it.

"Doesn't matter."

"What do you want?"

     His eyes narrowed and a crafty smile pulled at his mouth. He swiped at his forehead, ran his fingers over his bald head, and exhaled sharply before answering, "You, Cabello. You"

     He got up from the bed, which lowered my anxiety a bit, and told me to stay put. Of course, I listened. However, the moment he was back at his desk, fumbling with his phone, his back toward me, I touched my back pocket. Slowly, without taking my eyes off of the man, I took it out of my pocket and placed it beside my thigh. I had just opened my contacts and pressed Harry's name when he spun around in the chair.

"You're going to listen to me, alright?" he growled.

     I hadn't gotten a chance to press the little green call button on the screen, and I couldn't now that he was staring right at me. So I merely nodded and waited until his phone buzzed and he turned back around to read the message. The second his eyes left me, I pressed the call button. Faintly, I could hear the ringing, but after just a second, Harry picked up. I heard him say my name and I lowered the volume, fearing that the man would hear Harry's voice and confiscate my phone. I sighed quietly and the man looked at me once more.

"Don't look so scared. Nothing's going to happen. Do you know how much money you're worth, sweetie?"

     I hoped that Harry could hear everything the man was saying, and that, somehow, the man would let out some detail about where we were, and that I could be found.

"No, I d-don't," I stuttered.

"A lot. You're worth a lot. You've got a net worth of a million dollars."

     I still didn't understand, but I didn't know what else to say. So I sat quietly as he continued talking about money, as he focused on his phone for minutes at a time, as he mumbled to himself almost silently. I looked down at my phone and noted that I had been on the phone with Harry for 5 minutes. 

I sat back, let out a quivery sigh, hung up the phone, and prayed to get out of here.

-

A/N: Due to request, here is chapter 20! (: thought we'd keep the excitement going a little bit. let me know what you think in the comments, and I hope to have a new part up soon! thanks for reading x