Chapter 1

"Nate James, you've been giving me that same look for the better part of two decades now. I can't believe you're still pissed I stole your story in the third grade," I snapped at him, pushed to the breaking point by yet another look of exasperation cast in my direction. "If nothing worse has happened to you since, then I'd say you've led a pretty charmed life, so can we please move on?"

"Logan, you think I'm pissed about my story that you outright plagiarized? Not about how you broke Tommy's heart last year?" he replied, turning his back to me as we carried yet another load of supplies into my brother and his new restaurant. The official opening of their restaurant was barely a week away.

I'd flown in a few days earlier to help out with the final preparations and had been doing hard labor ever since. First, driving all over the region picking up boxes, and then shifting furniture from one side of the restaurant to the other. I was on the verge of demanding payment, or at the very least, protesting. Nate's constant antagonism wasn't helping. I mean, the guy had never been known for his charming, light-hearted personality but he'd never been this bad. As kids, his serious, quiet nature had always meant he was the calmest of us all, far less likely to get into trouble on his own than Ollie and me. Now, he was no longer even tolerable. He was just an ass, mostly to me. At least, for Ollie's sake, he was an intelligent, business savvy ass. They both had a lot invested in this business.

"Your brother's not angry about our break-up. Why should you be?" I followed him into the waterfront restaurant, taking a moment to appreciate the beauty of the place. It was spectacular. A blend of rustic maritime charm and modern sophistication that looked straight out of the pages of Vogue Living. I was proud to have a dinner invitation for opening night. I couldn't imagine how Nate and Ollie felt owning the place. It was a huge gamble, but hopefully it would be a rewarding one.

"Tommy's not pissed because, as usual, you sweet talked your way out of his anger. Just like you've sweet talked your way out of every bad situation your actions have landed you in since the third grade." His voice was always calm. Most people who knew him had never heard him raise his voice unless they saw him around me. I was the only person who made him yell, and it was usually in annoyance. "Including your detention for taking my story."

"Tommy's not pissed because our break-up was mutual, respectful and mature. Trust me, I was there."

I could see his jaw clench in anger at my words. I'll admit they came out more annoying than I'd intended. I may as well have said his brother and I had a conscious uncoupling.

"You broke up with him three weeks after moving in with him."

"You've lived with your brother. You've seen his bathroom. You should be more understanding." I couldn't for the life of me understand why he was so angry for Tommy. Tommy and I still had coffee together weekly. We were both fine about our break-up. Sometimes people break-up because they just don't work. No anger, hurt feelings or betrayal involved.

"Were you always this selfish or has being in front of a camera for the last three years done this to you?"

I smiled in the way I knew he found infuriating, wanting to get under his skin like he was getting under mine.

"Have you been watching my cooking show?" I laughed at the look of outrage in his eyes, exactly the same look he gave me when we were five and I suggested a game of 'I'll show you mine, if you show me yours.' Of course, in our teen years, he'd begged me to play that particular game. "Do you want an autograph?"

"I don't understand how someone so small can be so irritating," he said, his resolve to be mad at me beginning to waiver like it always did around me.

I was getting the distinct vibe though that Nate couldn't stand being alone with me these past few days. We hadn't spent that much time together in the last few years. Not since that night.

"Was I this irritating at prom?" I taunted.

"Probably," Ollie answered as he walked out of the kitchen, wiping his hands on a tea towel before opening the boxes we'd brought in. "Why are we talking about prom?"

"Just reminiscing," Nate said casually, giving me a warning look to not to say more. He didn't need to worry. I could keep secrets.

"Logan, did you pick up the tablecloths?"

"Yes," I answered, rolling my eyes. He'd already texted me twice to remind me.

"The cutlery?"

"Yes." I hoped he wasn't about to list everything in the boxes. It was going to be a long day.

"Don't worry. I checked already. She hasn't forgotten anything," Nate said.

My brother smiled with relief that 'Nate the great' was around to save us all. I scoffed. It was almost offensive that Ollie didn't trust me to get the job done without needing Nate's supervision.

You would think they'd be slightly more appreciative of me. After all, I had taken a break from my successful career as a celebrity chef to fly out and help them start their restaurant back home in Chester. Instead, all I had gotten was non-stop flak. That was my brother and Nate for you.

Ollie must have seen me roll my eyes because before I knew his lecturing started.

"Don't act like we're being unreasonable for checking up on you. I was there almost every day when you forgot your keys, your shoes, your books, your homework..."

"Your pants..." Nate just had to throw his two cents in. It wasn't helpful or appreciated.

"That was one time!" I tried to defend myself, "I thought the shirt was long enough to be a dress." I paid no attention to their laughter. "I may have to take this forgetful mind elsewhere."

I took the mature route and stormed off into the kitchen, ignoring their mock apologies and condescending laughter.

"You know I'm grateful you're here right?" My brother tried to save himself from my wrath as he walked into the kitchen sometime later. Ollie knew I could hold a grudge like nobody's business. So could he though.

"I know." I looked up from stirring the chocolate sauce for the taster dessert menu to smile at him. I knew he was grateful. Nate, on the other hand, looked decidedly ungrateful about my presence. He seemed not to care that this was my home too, and this was my brother's success as well.

"Nate will come around. I think he's still pissed at you for leaving." Ollie laughed at the look of shock on my face. I couldn't believe Nate had the audacity to hold a grudge over me leaving five years ago. I'd left after high school like three quarters of our friends did. My aspirations had taken me away. Nate had chosen to stay. He couldn't begrudge me for that.

"Does he often ask about me?" I tried to appear indifferent, unfortunately my twin always saw right through me. I couldn't hide anything from him. But it was okay since he couldn't hide anything from me. There were no secrets between two people who'd shared a womb for nine months.

"No. But after you started dating Tommy last year he had a lot to say about you and none of it was positive." Ollie stared at me seriously, "whatever's gone on or going on between you two, don't let it interfere with Sail's opening. Please, Logan, this is the single most important moment of my life. I have everything invested in this dream."

I walked around the counter to wrap my arms around him, my head barely reaching his collarbone. Funny to imagine we'd started life the same size.

"I would never do anything that would risk damaging or even complicating what you're doing here. I'm so proud of you Oliver. I know this place is going to be a success, how could it not with Nate and you running it."

We hugged for a moment before getting back to work. Since there was a lot of work to do before the opening, we had to keep the mushy, motivational speeches to a minimum. He was trying to run a business here after all.