Home Alone

"See ya mom."
"Bye sweetie, don't forget to lock the door behind me, and check all the windows, and make sure the stove isn't on, and----"
"Got it mom. You aren't going to be gone forever, and it's only one night. I'm sure I can handle myself."

Be careful what you wish for.

I laughed at myself as my mom walked out the door. I was constantly quoting my favorite movie, "The Biggest Lie." It was very ironic and it cracked me up anytime a character would doubt something, and then it immediately happened.
I turned on the TV, flipping through channels as boredom set in. It was dumb to think being home alone would be fun, I should have just gone to the stupid conference and been bored there. Then at least I wouldn't be alone.
I decided to go to my room and read for awhile. When I had chosen a book and laid down, I heard the wooden floorboards outside my closed bedroom door creaking. I put it off as the house settling, and went back to my book.
Then I heard it again. The unmistakable sound of footsteps creeping down the hall. I got up and peered though the space under my door and saw feet. I smiled. My little brother had probably gotten home from practice early, and decided to play a trick on me.
I stood up slowly and grabbed the door handle, hoping to scare him before he got me. I flung the door open, expecting to see my brother there, on the other side, but no one was there.
I sighed and cursed my active imagination, retreating back to my room. But then I heard the crash. It sounded like it was coming from the kitchen.
I rolled my eyes and scolded myself for not putting the cookie jar lid on correctly, but my mind lingered on one thought. That it wasn't me, it was someone else.
I froze the moment my brain remembered a vital piece of information.

I didn't lock the door.