North Carolina

Maya's P.O.V

"Mum can you tell me where we're staying yet?" I moaned as we drove passed yet another house. We were in America for the Summer; North Carolina to be exact. We had been driving for what seemed years, and I had terrible jet lag as it felt like one in the morning instead of eight in the evening. I'm originally from England and this was my first time in the US. My mum said she'd take me as a treat for passing my piano exam as I wanted to go so bad. She only had one condition though: that we stayed with her friend in North Carolina.

"Just five minutes I promise, sweetie," assured my mum. I groaned and lay back in my chair and tried to get some rest.

***

"Maya?!" I heard a voice say. "Maya wake up, we're here!"

"What?" I said with a groggy voice, slowly opening my eyes.

She sighed. "We have arrived!"

My eyes shot open in excitement. "It's about time."

We got our bags out the back of the car and made our way up the driveway to the house. I had to say, it was a rather nice one. I knocked on the door and waited for a response.

A few seconds later the door was opened. It wasn't mums friend I presumed. There stood a tallish, dark haired boy with bright blue eyes and tanned skin.

"Hey, you just be mum's guests, come on in!" The boy smiled. He was quite cute I must say.

"I'm guessing your not my mums friend?" I joked, as he let us in.

"Nah, Elizabeth is my mum, she's upstairs putting Skylynn to bed."

"Who's Skylynn?" I asked, putting my suitcase down.

"Oh she's my little sister, she's five," he replied. "Anyway, I'm Hayes, what's your names?"

"I'm-"

"Well this is Maya, and I'm Carol, nice to meet you Hayes," my mum smiled, butting in on my reply. "Any chance I could grab a drink? The journey took a little longer than we thought."

"Mum I think I can answer that myself, I'm not four," I joked, and Hayes laughed.

"Sure Carol, this way to the kitchen," he instructed, leading us through.

Hayes poured both of us a drink and set it down. "I'm sure my mum should be here soon."

A few minutes later we heard footsteps coming down and suddenly Elizabeth walked through the door.

"Ahhhh, Carol oh my god you're here!" She almost yelled, squealing with excitement as they hugged each other.

"It's been too long Liz, really!"

"We gotta be quiet because Skylynn is asleep, but we need to catch up!" Explained Liz. "And you must be Maya right?"

"Yeah, nice to meet you!" I smiled.

"Hayes, show Maya around whilst me and Carol do a bit of catching up, eh?"

"Sure," he grinned, "this way."

**

Throughout the tour me and Hayes spoke, getting to know each other. It was strange meeting an American boy after living in England my whole life.

"So, what grade are you in?" He asked.

"What?" I asked, confused.

"You know, like in school?"

"Oh you mean year?" I laughed. Now Hayes looked confused.

"I think so, yeah."

"Well I just got out of year 9, so I'm going into year 10."

"Cool, I'm going into 10th grade too," he smirked. "That makes us the same age then..... at least I think so."

"I guess so," I said, unsure.

"Well, this is the end of the tour." He has stopped at a door at the end of the corridor. "I bet you wanna get some rest after the plane journey."

"You betcha," I half laughed, yawning.

"I'll see you in the morning then," said Hayes, smiling and walking down to his room. "Oh and Maya?"

"Yeah?"

"Beware of Nash, he comes back tomorrow from LA for the Summer. He's a pain in the ass!" He giggled. "Goodnight."

"Goodnight Hayes."