The Call

Normandy, France June 6 ,1944
The door to a small French cafe burst open, as a grenade was thrown in, detonating a few seconds later a lone man walked into the dark room, his brown eyes scanned the room nervously as he checked for any sign of the enemy "it's clear sir" he sighed as he sat down in one of the chairs.

Six more men hurriedly walked into the room " Ryan shut that door." A Sargent ordered the private quickly closed the door "Collins what's our situation?" He asked, the medic, Collins got up and sighed "hmmm, well let's see, half our squad is dead, the other half is wounded, we're cut off from all friendly forces, and our radio operator is dead, you tell me!" He finished sarcastically, any other man would probably be courtmartialed, but Collins and the Sargent were old friends. "You know what I mean!" The Sargent shouted his nerves fried from combat.

Stienburg and the others watched the exchange of words, suddenly his highly sensitive ears picked up a low rumble that was slowly increasing in volume "umm sarge." Stienburg said trying to get his attention "SARGE!!" He yelled "what!" He yelled back since he was still arguing with Collins "do you hear that?" He asked him.

Everyone listened " Stienburg, you and Collins go to the attic and see if you can get a better view " the two nodded and as soon as they both reached the huge window in the attic facing the street, both of them stopped in their tracks and their blood froze. Just a few yards in front of them stood a Panzer IV "I don't think they know we're in here, suddenly an explosion ripped a hole in a house a few feet a away from the tank "Ah, fu-" Collins went to say before the tank fired its high velocity round into the building.
The entire bottom floor was obliterated the attic gave away a few seconds after the shell hit, Stienburg hit his head on a pile of bricks, causing his vision to blur. Collins wasn't as lucky, the man landed on his neck, and then part of the roof fell on him. A loud 'Crunch' was heard was the bricks crushed his face.

Stienburg reached into his shirt and tried ripping off his Star of David pendant, but his actions were sluggish, the world spun as he looked around. He was turned around, looking up he saw a German officer looking down on him. The officer yelled at him. And drew his Walther P38 and stuck the barrel to Stienburg's forehead....
BANG!