Chapter 1

The carriage turned the treacherous road, the wheels fighting to keep grip on the crumbling mountainside road. The Guard was on his way to Castle Fothria to change shifts. He was approaching fast. He looked out of the window. The view was outstanding, the sun looked like a falling orange balloon nearly touching the endless stretch of forest that coiled its self around the diamond lake. He watched as the castle drifted into view. It was massive, made out of pure stone with vines snaking up the side of it. The last rays of the sun were fading and quickly. This was the day Prince Callum would join the Lord’s Table. This was the day that the Prince would become a vampire.

The massive oak doors flew open. the sight of the limbless, gutted werewolf sprawled across the floor caught him off guard. Had Callum preformed such an unforgivable act? Breaking the treaty was the biggest act of evil a vampire could perform. That's when he heard him; he looked up at the high marble ceiling just in time to see it swipe his long, sharp claw, impaling the spot he had been standing. It was a vampire, but something wasn’t right. It looked doglike. Like all vampires it had dark leathery skin, black soul-less eyes and a lair of skin under its arms for gliding but it had a snout and wolf ears.

 He was foolish and didn’t react in time as he felt a 5 blades slice through the skin on his back. He shivered. He knew he had to move or he would die but all he could do was scream. The pain hit him like an arrow as it continued down his left leg.

He ran, the pain hitting him in waves, each one stronger than the last. He ran through the corridor of the castle passing statues of warriors and grand portraits of women. He heard the creature hiss as it followed him through the castle. He reached the front door and was just able to grab the door before his leg buckled. Dawn was approaching over the horizon if he could lead the creature out here it would burn to death. Its pale, powerful body appeared behind him and threw him outside, he hit his head on the rock and gazed at the thing sheepishly. It was hungry, so much so it was visible from the violent look in its blank eyes. He let the pain and exhaustion overtake him. He screamed as the thing started opening up his stomach with it’s claws and bend down to eat. That was when it heard the howl from deep within the forest. It turned its head back to him and used its claws to slit his throat. Before the Guard died he saw the prince bolt into the forest to find the fresh prey. It turned its head back at him and noticed he was still alive. He sent his claws out of his hand hitting, his chest like 5 spears. The world grew dark despite the raising sun.