Chapter 1: 2015

It was a simple question she asked: how are you? Marianne knew her job well; she knew how to talk to the mentally ill, find a part of their conscience that she could relate to. She had asked him three minutes ago, and he was still rambling. Not to unusual, considering his disability. But what he was saying, the words she could make out, sounded extraordinary. Advanced scientific theories, computer components, things Marianne could never understand. This was the most exciting part of her job.

As he continued to mumble, she stopped listening and studied his appearance. The records said he was forty five, but he looked older. Tired eyes hid in their sockets like they couldn't handle the things they had seen. Wrinkles lined his face like an intricate system of rivers in a canyon. His thin black hair was retreating from his forehead, but what remained was neatly combed to each side, parting in the middle. His pale skinny legs walked hesitantly, each stumbling step taking him only a few inches ahead. Finally they made it to his room, where he sat on his bed. Marianne pulled up a chair next to him. "So where did you learn about this science?"

He spoke in a soft slurred voice, syllables falling out of words or being repeated several times. But it was good enough to understand. "Over the years. Parents say I'm smart. Extra special. I wasn't better then him. They say so. Why? He was good. Why wasn't I better than him?"

Marianne was slightly intimidated by his strange talking, but tried to remain confident and professional. "Who aren't you better than?"

"He was a great kid, I loved him. My brother, did I say? I don't believe I did. Are you nervous? I can see that you're nervous."

Marianne was surprised; she was usually good at hiding her emotions. "How could you tell?"

"It's in your eyes. It's the eyes that matter. Look at someone's eyes and you know everything about them. It's life experience. Make the most of a situation, boy. Think different. They told me since I was a little kid. What a childhood. Can I tell you about it?"

This man amazed Marianne. She couldn't help but wonder what made him this way. "Tell me."