The Call

Emma stumbles to place the key into the door. But once she gets her apartment door open she immediately kicks off her heels that make her struggle to stand. She throws her out of battery phone and bag on the nearby couch. She carries a pink box to the kitchen and places it on the counter. She opens it and takes out the small cupcake with a single candle. She goes to a drawer and takes out a lighter and lights it. She leans on the counter and closes her eyes. "Another banner year" she says out loud. She silently makes a wish. 

Almost immediately her home phone goes off, making her jump. She turns on the lights and walks over to the machine and presses speaker. "Hello, you reached Emma Swan. Leave a message after the beep" she mocks her answering machine, "BEEP". She swipes her finger into the frosting and eats it, waiting for the person on the other end. Probably work or the building tenant about to tell her rent is due. 

"EMMA! Emma Swan, it's Mary Margaret Blanchard...I know it's been awhile. I just-" there was a pause in her voice, like she was about to start crying, "I just don't have anyone else to talk to about this. I honestly don't know why I'm bugging you it's been ten years.... I'm sorry, disregard this message." Emma stares blankly. She hasn't spoken to Mary Margaret Blanchard since they were both eighteen. She grabs the phone before Mary Margaret could hang up.

"Hi this is Emma" she says, feeling a hint of regret. She honestly didn't want to answer the crying girl, but she felt she owed it to her. 

"Emma? Hi. I was just leaving a message. I just really need to talk to someone outside of Storybrooke."

"I bet," Emma scoffs, remembering how tight knitted the town was. Everyone knew everyones secrets. Then Mary Margaret Blanchard begins to sob. Emma cringes because she doesn't know what she got herself into. "Not to be rude, but how did you get my home phone number?" 

"Yellow pages" Mary Margaret is able to say between inhales. Emma forgot that whole town felt like it was stuck in the 80's. "I'm sorry to bug you so late at night".

"No, no. It's fine, I just got back from work." Emma says while eating her birthday cupcake. "Vent all you want". She was just going to tune her out.

"David is in a coma and I just can't-"

"David? David Nolan is in a coma?" Emma asked no intrigued in the conversation. "Our friend that you were madly in love with growing up?" She surprised herself that she remember more than she thought.  

"Yes. He was in an hit and run". Mary Margaret then explains she was the one that found him on the middle of the road after she was walking home from a hometown diner. Emma now knew why she was so emotional, not just because David Nolan was in a coma but Mary Margaret found him in a pool of his own blood. 

"Mary Margaret that's terrible. Is he stable at the hospital?" Emma asked, now a bit concerned for her old childhood friend. 

"Yeah. Thankfully. I just feel terrible because no one visits him but me, since his parents passed and all" Mary Margaret confesses. Emma couldn't believe that the Nolan's were gone. "You missed a lot of things Emma".

"Apparently I have"  Emma says while eating the last piece of her gift to herself. "I really hope they catch the person responsible for this. I hope you feel better too. This is a lot to handle for you" Emma says half truth, half trying to end the conversation since it's like three in the morning.

"I'm sorry, I called so late. I just keep replaying how I found him." She confesses.

"Don't do that to yourself." Emma tries to comfort her the best she can. She was never great at it.

"I was wondering if you could stop by tomorrow and just visit David. Just for a few hours. You know, just so he has someone other than me" Mary Margaret sniffles. Emma covers the phone and groans. Emma rolls her eyes.

"I would do it in a heartbeat, but I'm swamped at work...and uh...It's gonna be a 4 hour drive. It's a lot. I could send like some flowers and a card or something" Emma tries to get out of the offer.

"Yeah, I guess that would be fine." Mary Margaret complies but with a hint like she's been hurt by the answer. Emma lowers the phone from her ear and sighs. 

"I'm so gonna regret this" Emma speaks to herself. She raises the phone back up, "Well, I do have the day off tomorrow and I can finish up my work some other day, I guess. I could stop by for a few hours". Right when she said it, Emma regretted it instantly. 

"You'd do that? I know it's been years Emma, but this would mean a lot to David... and me..." Mary Margaret stops crying. "I guess I'll let you go." 

"Okay see you tomorrow, at the hospital, around noon. " Emma says reluctantly.

"Sounds great Emma. OH! Emma, Happy Birthday. I forgot to start off that way. My emotions just got the best of me." Mary Margaret says. Emma surprised that she remembered. 

"Thanks. Feel better. Night" Emma hangs up the phone. She puts the phone down and lies her head on the counter. 

"Storybrooke. Great." Emma mumbles.