Hunting

Talon froze as he smelt it. The metallic scent that seemed to worm it's way into every item of his clothing. He knew what it was but didn't know where it was coming from. It laid heavy in the air smothering everything.                                     

Blood. Smelling strangly sweet against the musky earthy smell of the autumn forest he was hunting in. 

Slowly, he relaxed his aching muscles and allowed  his sleep heavy head to swing from side to side, glancing at his surroundings as he did so. Not thing seemed even remotely out of place.

But then he saw her.. A small doe limping blindly towards the clearing he was camping in. Dark blood fell from a deep gash in her front left leg.  He sucked in a breath as he lifted his bow and nocked an arose. This was his best. A straight shaft  with a beautiful goose feather at the end. He aimed the arrow   At her right eye and let it fly as he breathed out.

The Doe staggered then fell sounding a quiet thump as she did. The forest went quiet as talon walked towards the carcass and knelt by its head. He placed a shaking hand over her brow and whispered " ie-we-gest-ah, Uw-do-le-ah - sleep in peace daughter." 

He looked down at her leg to see that it had stopped bleeding. The edges of the wound were ragged and raw. " what could have done this?" He muttered.  A pair of eyes glowing in the pitch night answered him. "Ah hell.