Prologue

"A single sunbeam is enough to drive away many shadows."
- St. Francis of Assisi
~
Earth
12th August 1990

{unknown POV}

My whole body aches. I don't know how long I have been running for... I can't stop now. For her, my child, my hope. I turn a sharp corner and risk a look over my shoulder. It is empty except for the looming darkness, it's dark tendrils snaking towards me. I push on, pulling the small bundle in my arms closer to me. Her beautiful blue eyes gleam up at me, making my heart hurt. She is so innocent unaware of the danger in the darkness. My heart swells with love and regret. She probably won't remember me in a year, or even a month. I can't help but think I am making a bad decision. But I have no choice.

Phil Coulson is slumped down on his sofa still in his S.H.I.E.L.D suit. His eyes are  closed and his mouth hangs open in a wide 'O' shape. He looks peaceful. Just a normal 26 year old man. Except he has a remarkable amount of bravery, loyalty and courage in his heart. My need to get my baby to safety has been present for 2 weeks and after many decisions I have chosen Coulson. I know my child will be safe and happy with him. Moving from the window and silently approach the front door. Placing the bundle in my arms on the welcome mat, I take a final look at my baby girl. Her tiny mop of golden locks on her delicate head, her porcelain skin and pink lips, and her striking sky blue eyes- all wrapped in a faded yellow blanket. A gentle tear rolls down my cheek as I gaze. She smiles warmly at me, a gentle golden glow surrounding her. I smile back, for only a baby she is already immensely powerful.

Suddenly the temperature drops, a cool breeze pinching my skin. A small amount of heat is radiated from my girl, but it is not enough to fight the cold off. They are close now.
Leaning down I press my fingers to my trembling lips then move them to her face. Next I remove my necklace from my neck. It is small gold pendant that catches the light as I place it on my daughter.
"I love you my darling, do not let them take your light away. Your just like your father... Remember us when you look up at the sun."
She starts to cry. Small whimpers at first which explode into wails.
Standing up I reach for the small doorbell and press it urgently.

Inside the small apartment the young man lurches away to the sound of the buzz. His senses return to their usual sharpness as he makes his way over to the door and he hears the tiny cry.
He flicks the latch of the door, one hand on his spare gun in his back pocket.
Opening the door he immediately covers his eyes from the bright light on his door step. After his eyes adjust he stares down at the light to see that it is in fact a tiny baby, and his heart melts. Looking around at the empty street he picks the baby up causing her to become silent. Phil Coulson looks down at the small bundle in his arms, his eyes catching on the pendant laced around her little fingers.
"Where did you come from?" He thought aloud, receiving no answer.
"Well," he paused " I'm Phil and you..you are.." Coulson paused again. The child had no name shown anywhere so he would have to decide. He peered at the girl who was still glowing in his arms. The girl was clearly special and powerful. She was like an angel, a ray of sunshine. Finally a name popped into his mind:
" Celeste"

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Celeste - Latin for "of the sky, heavenly".

I hope this was alright and that it makes sense, I'm from England so I'm trying to make sure it is more American as that's where it's set 😋
The story will be along the lines of the first Avengers movie (at the moment) with Celeste added into the mix as well
It will be a Captain America fan fiction too 😍
So yeah, hope this was Ok-ish! Thanks for reading my attempt to write!
-Samantha