Managing Dreams (A One Direction Fanfic)

"Bye" I said as I walked out of the door, "Cya honey, have fun" mum calls out from the kitchen. I grab my keys and jump in my tiny red crappy car. It’s a Sunday morning and I should be in bed still asleep but I'm heading into the city to meet up with my stage crew and go to a meeting with the director of a small out of school Production Company. 

I'm a stage manager nothing special but I have always loved the feeling of being back stage When I was in year 10 my drama teacher asked me to be the stage manager for the school musical and being my ambitious self I accepted not knowing how much work I would have to put in to this. By the way I’m Rachel. Rachel Turner, I'm 18 years old and in year 12. I have long light brown hair, faint freckles on my cheeks, brown eyes and I'm not short. I live in a little city called Adelaide in Australia. I can’t sing dance and even though I love it I'm not the best actor so when I got the chance to be a stage manager I took it. Our stage crew consists of Mark, Adam and Gale. Mark and Adam do the lights and Gale does the sound and well I tell them what to do. 

I park the car on the road and walk to Rundle mall. I spot the boys straight away. "Sorry were you waiting for me" I ask "No we just got here, you ready to go?" Adam asks. We walk for a while until we come to an old building. We knock on the door and are welcomed by a happy bald man known as Kyle. "Hello, hello, come in sit down, make yourself at home" Says Kyle as he directs us to his office and we all take a seat. He closes the door and sits behind his desk. "So, it would be an honor to have you as our stage crew for our production of The Wizard of Oz." Says Kyle. "We'd love to be a part of the production, sign us up!" I say trying to sound as enthused as I can when reality is I hate musicals. I want to stage manage a concert, we all do. Kyle talks about all the technical things and I kind of lose interest and let the boys handle it. 

We walk out of the old building and to Gloria Jeans; I order a coffee and sit down with the guys. "You seemed really interested Rachel" Says Gale Sarcastically "Sorry I was tired and latley all I have been doing is stressing about exams" I say. "You'll do fine, no need to worry" says Mark. The boys are like my 3 big brothers. I met themwhen I was in year 10 while they were in year 12 and after that we decided to become our own crew. They are all in their second year of Uni and I’m still at school. I have 2 more weeks of year 12 and then it will be done, all over, until Uni of course but I seriously cannot wait. 

We talk about school and study and talk about how awesome it would be to get a call right now offering us a job. We then organize another time to catch up. I really do love seeing these guys; they sure know how to cheer me up. Gale walks me to my car and gives me a big hug and wishes me the best for my exams that start in a week. I jump in the car and drive home, its already noon. I get home and am greeted by my dog Kelsi. She’s a Caine terrier, small and white. Mum is at work preparing for tomorrows lessons (She’s a teacher), dads at golf and my brother is locked in his room playing video games. I walk into my room and find my little cat asleep on my bed. Her name is Ellie and she is really small for a fully grown cat but she’s adorable. I dump my purse and grab my laptop and books and sit at my desk and start studying. 

I check out our job application that we put online, offering ‘a well-trained stage crew’. 'You have no new messages' I read and my heart sinks. Our dream is to get a permanent job touring with a band. We don’t really care what band, but my dream is to tour with either The Killers or One Direction. I do have a small spot for One Direction. Back on year 10 I was obsessed, and I mean obsessed. If I wasn’t watching videos of them on YouTube I was tweeting them nonstop on Twitter but when Stage Managing took over I didn’t have any time for it.  It’s hard to admit that now as a year 12 and the fans of One Direction are supposedly all twelvies. 

After about 5 minutes of studying my best friend Chelsea calls. "Hey how you doing, wait let me guess your studying?" "Of course I am there’s a week till exams, come on Chels, don’t you want to get a good result?" "I will, I promise I have been studying all morning"  "Good, how are you anyway?" "Yeah I’m good… So there’s this party tomorrow night. I know you probably have some huge study session planned so I don’t know why I'm asking but do you want to come?" "Well... It is on a school night…" "Come on it will be fun, take your mind off all the stress for a bit? Please!" "Okay fine I'll come, only because someone needs to drive you home" We both giggle say our good byes and I go on with my studying. 

After studying for about 5 hours I take a well owned break and go for a run. When I get home mum is home cooking dinner. I jump in the shower and then throw on some comfy pants and a plain white top. And go and have dinner. Mum talks about the usual naught student that she had to send to the principal’s office and my dad talks about his golf scores. My brother just sits there playing on his Ipad even after mum has told him multiple times to put it away. I pretended I was listening but I was really just dreaming about going on a trip all around the world. Paris, England, America, there are endless possibilities. But I don’t have any money, of course. I tell mum I’m going out tomorrow night and won’t be home to late, she gives me the whole lecture about drinking and then I help her wash the dishes and go straight to bed. I lay in bed for about an hour dreaming of a different life where I can do whatever I want and am a stage manager for One Direction.