Chapter 1: Christmas Party

Christopher's P.O.V
James, Lucie, Matthew, Charles, Cordelia, Alastair, Anna, Thomas, and Barbara were playing truth or dare. You see, it was the annual Christmas party at the London Institute, and deciding there was nothing better to do, we formed a circle and started the game. As of now, it was James's turn. "James, truth or?" Barbra asked. James thought for a moment. "Truth," he decided. Barbra grinned. "Describe Grace Blackthorn." "She's beauty, she's Grace, she'll punch you in the face," James said, and Matthew laughed. "Okay, your turn Christopher. Truth or dare?" James asked me. "Dare," I reply hesitantly. Matthew and James grin and whisper to each other. Then James faces me. "Christopher, I dare you to start a conversation with Grace Blackthorn." My eyes widen. "Okay," I stutter out, then walk over to Grace. She really did look lovely, in a crimson velvet dress, with 5-inch high black heels. I hear Lucie and Cordelia whispering behind me. "I mean, he's the embodiment of social awkwardness," Lucie whispers to her Parabatai. I clear my throat and Grace looks at me. She might look pretty, but looks could be deceiving. I was suspicious of this girl, and would not let her charm me. "Hello, I'm Christopher. Christopher Lightwood," I introduce myself. Grace gives me a flirtatious smile. "Hello, Christopher. I'm Grace Blackthorn. You look just dazzling tonight, you know," Grace flirts, turning her charm on. When I don't immediately drop to the floor and worship her, she narrows her pale jade eyes. Honestly, with her pale gold curls, delicate features, and pale green eyes, she looked like one of the porcelain dolls Lucie played with as a child. "You look so innocent, to be the girl who broke Jamie's heart," I quietly say. Grace shrugs, well, gracefully. "I am my Mother's blade. A blade does not choose where it goes, nor does it care. Mother needed a blade in James's heart, so I was there." I frown. "Why would she need you to break James's heart?" I ask. Jealousy flashed in her eyes, but it was gone as swiftly as it came. "To bring back precious Jesse, of course. Whom happens to be arriving now, actually." I follow her gaze and, indeed, there was Jesse Blackthorn, the living dead boy himself. He looked uncomfortable, as he should be, everyone knowing he had been brought back illegally by necromancy. Grace then looks me dead in the eyes. "Look, Christopher. I genuinely would like to be friends with you. Meet me on Blackfriars Bridge tomorrow at midnight. Bring no one, tell no one. Understood?" There was an earnest look in her eyes, a desperateness in her delicate features, and I felt a pang of pity. The poor girl, played like a puppets by her own mother, growing up all alone, save the boys she used like chess pieces then broke their hearts to glass shards. I find myself nodding to the girl. "Of course, your Majesty. Wouldn't miss it for the world," I say, and her porcelain face lights up. She giggles and replies, "Good choice, peasant." She then walks away to her family, who was leaving, with her head held high, and I can tell she got a kick out of being addressed as royalty. "Grace, wait!" I call after her. Grace stops and looks at me. "Grace, before you leave, would you like to, um, maybe, you know, dance with me? I mean, I totally understand if you wouldn't want to, and I'm sure tons of boys have asked you dance already, and-" "I'd love to dance with you, Christopher," Grace cuts me off, a genuine smile lighting up her features. I place my hands on her hips and she laces her fingers around my neck and we start to dance. "You're very good at this," Grace says, surprised. I laugh at her reaction. "Mother and Father taught Anna and I to dance at a young age," I explain. Grace nods and we dance in silence. With other people, silences were usually awkward, but with Grace, I found the silences to be quite comfortable. Tatiana then calls for Grace from across the room, and Grace flashes me an apologetic smile. "Remember, midnight, tomorrow, Blackfriars. Don't miss it, peasant," Grace says. I smile. "Anything you say, Princess." I then go back to the others, who were staring at me in shock. "You- you made her smile," Alastair says in complete and total shock. "And she danced with you," Barbra said. I shrug. "She's changed," I say. I then go to my science lab to try and figure out what Grace was planning for Blackfriars.