Chapter 1

Lukas's POV

*Flashback*

"Lukas, have you ever kissed anyone?" Mathias asked, looking over to me and gave me a questioning look.
"No, I don't even like girls! Girls have cooties." I said and pouted. Mathias laughed and smiled.
"Well...do you like boys? Boys don't have cooties!" He said and giggled loudly. I giggled a little.
"Well I've always liked you, and your a boy. You're my best friend!" I stated and smiled.
Mathias chuckled and looked at me. "Would you kiss a boy?"
I thought a moment and looked at him. "Why?" I asked and raised an eyebrow in confusion.
Mathias blushed and giggled. "Cause I kinda wanna kiss you Lukas. Just to try it. My mommy told me that's what people do when they love each other." He said and smiled.

*Flashback End*
That was the day my best friend came out as gay. May eight 2000.
*Flashback*
We may have only been ten at the time, barely even old enough to know what love was, but I was supportive of him anyways.
Mathias is still my best friend but there is just one problem...

"LUKAS! I'm hooooooome~ where the hell are ya buddie?" Mathias yelled, bursting through our apartment door.
I sighed, rubbing my temples. "I'm in the back room." I replied. He was drunk again and it was the fifth time this week.

"Luuuuuk-" There was a loud thump and then what sounded like glass breaking and Mathias saying 'ow.'

I sighed and got up, walking in the general direction of where he was. Mathias sat on the floor, his foot bleeding and him rubbing his head, glass shattered all around his foot. I walked to him quickly.

"Don't move and let me clean up this glass." I said and crouched down near his foot, picking up peaces of glass. After I had thrown the glass I told the Dane to sit where he was and went into the bathroom, grabbing the first aid kit.

"Lukas....can I have a hug?" Mathias asked as I finished wrapping his foot.

I was shocked that he actually asked for once but allowed him to do so. He jerked forward and pulled me close to him, hugging me tightly around the shoulders, pushing his head into my shoulder and neck.

I blushed slightly and hugged him back lightly.

"Why did he leave me?" He mumbled and gripped me tighter, sniffling a little as if he were about to cry.

I hesitantly rubbed his back as he spoke. "I-I loved him....and he left me..." He mumbled and started to cry. I somehow knew it had to do with his ex.

"Mathias it'll be alright. There are bound to be many other people that love you like you love them." I said and allowed him to nuzzle my neck.

"D-do you love me?" He asked and looked at me.

I thought a moment and nodded, stroking his cheek with my hand lightly. "Yes, more than you think." I said, hoping he wouldn't remember this when he was sober.

In one quick movement Mathias had me on his lap and was kissing me lightly, his arms wrapped around my waist and blushing lightly.

I gasped a little and pulled back in shock. The Dane frowned and pulled away.

"I knew you wouldn't feel the same." He said.

"No! No! No! It's not like that." I said and wrapped my arms around his neck, pulling him into a hug. "I do feel the same." I said and blushed a little myself. "I just....I didn't want to tell you yet...."

The spiky haired Danish man smiled and hugged me tightly. I hugged him back loosely, becoming slightly shy.

*Flashback End*

And that was when I came out to my best friend. I told him I loved him. And now I sit in a hospital bed.

About six months ago I was diagnosed with stage 3 leukemia and cardiovascular disease. I'm currently receiving radiation treatment at a hospital in America.

"Lukas, do you want me to get you anything sweetie?" A voice asked from behind a glass window.

I nodded weakly. "Can I just have a good, Norwegian, hotdog?" I asked sitting back in my chair more.

"Alright babe, anything for my queen." The voice said again, letting me know it was Mathias. I

 smiled weakly. "Takk Kerjeste." I said.

A few seconds later the radiation was turned off and a doctor soon came into the room. "Lukas Bondevik, age 21, blonde hair, blue eyes, suffering from stage 3 leukemia and cardiovascular disease." The man said boredly. "I am your doctor, Dr. Leo Jankowski. I will be overseeing your treatment while Dr. Keirstin is on maternity leave. I understand that this is your third appointment for radiation treatment?" He asks.

"Yes sir." I said looking at him.

"I'm going to start you on a new medication. I understand you are suffering from depression as well?" He asks. I sighed and nodded, having heard this a million times. "I'm going to start you on Citalopram, otherwise known as Celexa." He said.

He went to speak again and there was a knock on the door. "Lukas? I brought you something to eat." Mathias said, opening the door a little and letting his head pop in.

I smiled. "Come on in sweetie this is just my doctor while Dr. Keirstin is out." I said.

Mathias smiled a little and then stepped in. The doctor stood up and held a hand out to Mathias. "I'm Dr. Leo Jankowski. "Are you family of Lukas? Perhaps his brother?" He asked, Mathias chuckled.

"I'm his fiance. We're soon to be married in October." He said, then looked over at me. "I brought him some food, I hope you don't mind." He said holding up a small, white bag.

Leo smiled. "It's alright. I was just talking to Lukas about medication. Are you his primary caretaker while he is sick?"

"Ja. I told him I'd always be there for him no matter what. And here I am." The Dane said, smiling brightly and walking over to me, hugging me lightly and handing me the bag.

"If you need any help just let me know hon okay?" He said and smiled, kissing my forehead lightly. I nodded and then opened the bag.

Dr. Jankowski explained the side-effects of the medication I would be taking. I struggled a little to open the package concealing the hotdog and then weakly tugged on Mathias's shirt. He looked back at me and then smiled a little, taking it from me and opening it for me.

"Lukas can go home in a couple hours, we just have to start him on his shots for his heart and then do his last radiation treatment for this month." He said and smiled a little. "I'll be right back with your perscription and medication."

Mathias looked at me and smiled slightly, rubbing my back a little. "Your going to do fine, your going to make it through this." He said and kissed my cheek. I smiled and held out my hand, urging him to take it. He smiled and held my hand, kissing the back of it. "I love you."

"I love you too Mathias." I said, smiling weakly.