Not My Crime

This is a small preview of a little story I may be continuing for a short story, but I'm not sure at the moment. Any feedback would be great if you would like more of this little murder mystery. 

-----------------------------------

I'm all alone.

Darkness spiraled around me like a dark suffocating mist. Trapping me, holding my captive with no light to see where I walk, no air to breathe. I tried to escape from my cell, banging on the stone walls. Clenching tightly onto the cold iron bars as sweat ran down my forehead and off the tip of my nose like a diving board. Clothes tattered and worn, with blood stains that covered my shirt like an artist who flicked paint at their canvas. 

I didn't do it. I didn't kill him. Or did I? 

I remember it clearly like it was only yesterday. A knife held tightly within my hand, the feeling of anger and betrayal yet as I look down at my hand, it isn't mine.Yet when I looked down, short, thin fingers covered in fine hairs across the knuckles. A tattoo of a small dove on the inside of the middle finger which held a rose covered in blood. This wasn't my hand. I saw a glimpse of a shadowed figure that laid at my feet on the floor, motionless and covered in a veil of red from head to toe. He was a greedy old man. 

He deserved it. 

His tailor-made suit was strained in blood, his white shirt now taking a pinkish colour as the smell of blood and iron started to fill the room. A small yellow canary went quiet within its little metal cage. Turning my head to glance around at my surroundings I noticed a small sign behind what looked to be a shop counter: 'Ye'Old Antique'. So I was in a shop. Looking around more at the different items, I started to move myself away from the heap of body on the floor to get a better look at the items. Pocket watches, old chairs and pine work, little ornaments scattered around the shop, yet I got the feeling this isn't what I was looking for. Walking out to the back of the shop, I saw a light, however it wasn't from the window or a hanging light. It was from a box. 

A small golden box with a fine sheet of dust on the lid. A dull blue pattern on the cover in a unique Celtic design with a large blue gem in the middle that  reflected a small beam of sunlight that was hitting the box which made light shine into the room in the form of little rainbows. That was it, the item this...person had been looking for. I courched down to the box, I took a small breath and blew a small layer of dust off the box, which caused a little cloud to appear. Covering my mouth, I coughed slightly and used my other hand to fan the dust away and allowed it to settle down elsewhere within the room. Placing both hands on the side of the lid, I slowly lifted up the lid, causing the small rainbows to scatter around the room only to look at the item that was inside the box.