Chapter 1

"Surprise!" I turn around from looking at microscope and see the people who I worked with for the summer to help in the lab and they have a danish with a candle in it.

"Thanks for helping this summer. Good luck in school this year, Paige"

"Thank you." I smile and blow out the candle. The moment after I blow out the candle Trey Carlson comes in with a huge bloody gash on his forehead. I get up right away and find a gauze and place it in his head to stop the bleeding. The doctor decided to let me stitch it up. After I stitch up the gash I hop in my forest green pick up truck that says "Morgan Farms" on it and drive home.

"Hey how was it?!" My mom shouts as I run up the stairs to my room to change.

"It was great! They had a going away danish for me as soon as I blew out the candle Trey Carlson comes in with a huge bloody gash of his forehead. Tried to give himself a haircut." I call back

"Good going Trey." My mom says sarcastically.

"The cool part was that they let me stitch it up for him."

"Time check." My mom asks.

"9:45!" I shout. As I pull out a sky blue dress from my closet.

I change quickly into it and climb back into my truck.

I drive as fast as I can t the church for my friend, Betsy's, wedding, but soon get caught up in back of a tractor.  I try multiple times to go around it, but instead I go around the other side.

"Hi" I call going past sticking my arm out the window to wave.

I continue and to drive until the parking lot comes up and I make a sharp turn into the dirt area. I rise up dust and dirt and people swiftly move out of the way as I park and stop abruptly.

I open the door and change out of my normal shoes I wear every day into heels.

"Hey." I greet as I'm slipping my other shoe on. "Nice dress." I say as I stand up.

"And then there were two." I say during the reception to a friend. "I mean they seem really happy, but I remember how we used to talk about getting out here and following our dreams. There's a whole world to see. You too. We're the last holdouts."

"Todd and I are engaged." She holds up her hand. "Don't mad."

"What why would I be mad?" I ask as I hug her

"That so much." She smiles.

*~*~*

"I love you." I tell my dad as he's dropping me off to college the first day.

"Se see you at Thanks Giving?" My dad asks.

"Yep I guess." I respond as I get out of the car with my stuff.

"Bye! Thanks!" I call before my dad drives away.

I make my way through the crowd and finally get to my dorm room I open the door and Beth my room mate jumps down from a chair.

"Paige hey!" She greets as we embrace "how psyched are you to be back?" She asks

"I'm excited. But this year we do the dishes every three weeks wether we need to or not. And by we I mean you." I state as I walk over to my side of the room.

"Paige. Look at what my dad hooked me up with." I walk back over to see what she's showing me. I see he set up a ton of cable boxes and a dish so she can get cable.

"Wow." I comment.

"I know. My dad may be totally  unaccessible emotionally but he knows how to install some pretty cool stuff."

"Well enjoy it." I comment as I walk back over to my side" I'll be lucky if in ever home this year. I have a five hour chem lab, post med applications, and work."

"Before you start saving the world. What don't you come to the rat with me, Stacy, and Amanda. Come on Paige.  It's your first day."

We all meet in a hall and head down to the rat.

"I can't believe you got to see all of Europe." I say to Stacy.

"It was amazing. But I kind of sleep with this 45 year old Italian guy."

"45? Wow" I say in amazement. "Over there." I point to a table to sit at in the crowed place.

"But he was cute. In a...Mussolini kind of way." She answered slowly.

"Hey!" I turn around and see Stu who's my boss when I work the bar. "What are you girls talking about?" He asks while bringing a tray of beer to us.

"Just talking about our love for older men such as yourself." I answer as we sit down.

"Trust me after this I'll be the best looking guy you see in here." He jokes as he puts down the glasses.

"Then you better take Stacy's away."

"Yes please." She laughs.

"Paige. Are you coming back to work here?" Stu asks.

"Yes definitely." I respond. "How's Thursday?"

"How's tomorrow?" He counters.

"Tomorrow it is." I smile.

"This round is on me." Stu says before he walks away.

"Thanks." We say in unison.

"Sometimes I wish I could fast forward the next 5 years and travel to where I want to go." I say

"Ugh." Beth exclaims,"I hate when she talks about her life plans. It makes me feel so unfocused."

"Tell me about I'm a senior and I changed my major like six times." Amanda states.

"I don't even have a major." Stacy adds.

"Trust me once you get one Paige will be done with Johns Hopkins."

"That's if I get in." I say.

"You'll get in." They all say in unison.

"Not this semester. I have to take Shakespeare." I scrunch up my noise. "Some humanity requirement."

"That's it. The next time you talk about school or work you have to take a shot." Beth says and the Stacy and Amanda agree.

"I mean Shakespeare is so useless."

"Wait wait." Beth gets up and goes over to the neighboring table and takes a shot glass and puts it down in front of me.

"Here. Drink it." She insists.

"What no." I say laughing. "What is it?" I smell it.

"Come on drink it. It's your first night."

I drink it down fast the taste is really strong. I reluctantly swallow it.

"Ugh. I hate you guys." I laugh putting down the glass.

Thanks so much for reading I know this is different than what I normally write. So sorry if that bothers you. But I hope you liked it!•