CHAPTER 1

Chapter 1

Tara

I pass the ball towards the sideline. My bestie managed to trap it and she was off, sprinting down the line with the ball. While she was travelling I sprint to the top of the D, this was our signature move. She does a nice and hard slap hit from the corner of the turf, crossing straight to me. I trap it with ease and position myself for my famous hit. My stick connects with the ball and the ball shot forward with power, I step back, watching it travel past the goalie, and hit the backboard with a bang, just as the siren went. The score had been level till now, we always waited till the last minute to score, and that's why we were unbeaten all year. I smiled to myself, we had won the grand final and the competition for the second year. All the girls on my team started hugging each other, I just stood there. A girl from the other team came up, their captain, I shook hands and said quietly, "good game."

Tahlia Taylor came up to me, she's my best friend, the one that assisted me scoring. She hugged me, just as a tear rolled down my face. I couldn't play hockey anymore, that was my final game and goal in my whole life.

"Tara?" She asked, "What's wrong?"

I sighed and tried not to release any more tears,

"I'll tell you later" I replied. Except there won't be a later.

She looked at me puzzled, I just turned away slowly and walked off the field.

"Good game Golding, nice goal." Said my coach, looking down at me, that's when she noticed my red face, "Come with me quickly Tara."

I looked down at my favourite shoes to play hockey in, and followed her into the changing rooms. She sat down on the bench and acknowledged me to sit down next to her

"What's the matter? We just won the grand final, and you're not happy, tell me what's wrong? She demanded gently.

Another tear trickled down my face. I look up at her, get up and run out. I hated my mum, she shouldn't be able to control me on what sport I should play, I HATE netball. I left all my stuff right there, forgetting about my letter. I sprint out of the complex, where my whole life was based around.

I climb up to my favourite spot, up a big tree where I could sit for hours unseen, but comfortable. I remembered what that letter said, it was from my mum, I haven't seen or heard from her in years, and then she sends a letter to me, demanding me to do things that I don't want to do. I didn't show dad, he would go crazy and I didn't want that. It was just better this way.

*****

COACH KELLY

I sat there, looking at where Tara was meant to be sitting, she should be smiling in shock, I had such good news to tell her. She left her bag here, she should, technically, come back soon to collect it. I noticed a piece of paper poking out the bag. I knew I shouldn't read it, but it must be the cause of her running off like that. I've never seen Tara cry before, not even when she got hit pretty hard in her knee cap earlier this year, she just continued on playing. The girl was tough. The paper must be the clue to her acting like that.

Dear Tara,

I miss you very much, and I can't wait till you come live with me again. Don't tell your father, just pack a bag of your most favourite possessions and I'll come fetch you on the 13/6/15.

Do you still play hockey?

When you come live with me, I'll teach you how to play a much better and more girly

sport - netball. I played the game when I was your age, and I avoided hockey. I hate hockey. I can tell you now that you will love netball. It will be good for you and for later in life. You'll also be very popular.