A potato's dream

Once, there was a potato, a potato with a great wish, an enormous dream. All it had ever wanted was to reach the treetops to see the world from the sky; its bottom view was boring to it and it could see nothing except for the sky. People like to watch the sky and admire it, while the potato had grown sick of it. It wanted to see the vast fields that it supposed were stretching around the small field in which it was growing; it had no trees stretching up to the sky in its sight, causing it to believe that.

One night, the wish got to the maximum extent, it then leaving its field and ground, and crawling on the dirt somewhere away. It crawled and crawled, but soon got tired. However, it didn't give up.

After quite some time of crawling, it reached the soft green grass swaying lightly on the breeze that now the potato could feel on its dirty crust. The potato had gotten even more enthusiastic than it had been before that night. It hurried as much as it could and moved faster and faster. What it could see now was a nearby tree stretching high up in an orchard. The potato crawled through the grass higher than it and after another long period of time it finally reached the bottom of the tree.

At that very moment, the potato found an obstacle. It was an obstacle at the very end of its journey, so close to its dream coming true. It remained at the foot of the tree, leaning on it. It whined about life, how unfair it is. It whined about the impossibility of someone being happy.

At the foot of the bottom it whined and whined, soon seeing the Sun, the magnificent star, rising up above the faraway hills slowly. The potato sobbed and stared at the Sun. It still couldn't see the vast fields from above. It could always look into the distance, but it wasn't the same. It was small and so close to the ground, almost on the same level with it. It wanted to go up on the tree, but there was no way of doing it. It hadn't thought it through. And now, it was even running out of water and minerals from the ground.

It sobbed all night, the sun rising more and more, covering everything with its warm, bright rays. A crow landed next to it, screeching.

"What are you doing here?" it asked with its screeching voice, hopping around the potato.

"I was trying to reach the top to the tree, but I can't," it answered, receiving a long laughter from the bird.

"You're a potato, you belong to the ground. You'll rot now, and die," it said, screeching loudly, its call echoing around them.

"But I just wanted to see the fields," the potato sighed. The crow grabbed it with one claw, lifting up and soon landing on the tallest branch of the tree. The potato gasped.

"There you go," the crow said. "But it is not meant for you to see this, it is not meant for you to be up here. Even if it is your dream, it is one that will kill you." And it was true. The potato felt weak, and there was no more chance for it to regenerate, even if returned to the ground. It was surprised it had survived that long. "Also, you couldn't reach it without someone's help. In my opinion, if you can't reach something by yourself, better not reach it anyway, because it will be hard for you to move on from there alone or even stay at that point by yourself. And depending on others never ends well." The potato sighed, understanding the crow's words, letting out its final breath. The crow realised it, so it flew and searched for where the potato was before, placing it there. It was dead, but it will serve the ground.

~ ~ ~

I found it. *cries tears of yoj*

It was on purpose. *points at yoj*

Anyway, I wrote this, like, three years ago. Three and a half? Anyway. It took me maybe ten minutes to write it? Too much? xD

Anyway...

I had no idea what to write about that day, that moment, that summer, but my fingers itched to put right about anything on paper. My friend was over at my place (she spent about three or four weeks with me, spending maybe, like, only Sundays at home) and I complained to her about it as we sat on the floor, backs leant on the bed. She was writing her own thing as we also chatted with my older sister in her room.

She was all like: "How should I know what you should write?"

I was like: "I can't think of anything, but I need something."

Then she was like: "I don't know, write about a potato."

Silence.

"Challenge accepted."

And then it came so naturally - to write about a potato with a dream. She replaced the dead lightbulb above my head. xD

And then later that day I continued writing whatever I was working on back then.

The End.