Prologue

I don't remember the first time I met Jane. It often frustrates me, not remembering the first time met my first love. Sometimes I rack my brain, just trying, trying to get a little glimpse of the first time I ever saw her, but I always come up empty.

At the same time, that's something I like about her. She didn't just walk into my life one day. Jane's just always been there, and ever-present person in my life. And hopefully, if everything plays out in my favor, she always will be.

The main issue is that Jane doesn't know that I love her. If I'm being honest, she thinks of me as a little brother and has a boyfriend. But she'll come around. I'm sure of it. Hopefully.

The thing is, my sister Lydia is best friends with Jane, and always has been. The only person Lydia trusts more than Jane is me. I don't know a lot of guys who get along with their older sister so well, but Lydia and I have always been really good friends. We're just lucky I guess. However, Lydia does not support my feelings for Jane. She says that I'm confusing other feelings for love. That I just want what I can't have.

I try to pretend that this doesn't bother me, but Lydia's opinion matters a whole lot more to me than I'd like it to. Our parents divorced when I was six and she was seven, and during that time the only people we had to turn to were each other. It wasn't like a horribly devastating event where the entire family was torn into shreds. Our parents just fell out of love, I guess. I was only a kid when it happened so I don't remember a lot of details. But I do remember Lydia being there for me when I didn't understand what was happening.

We have an older brother, Harrison, and he's six years older than me, and five years older than Lydia. He's my brother, but not necessarily my friend. He's shy, and also really dedicated to his job and degree. Our dad remarried a woman named Sky, and she had my half-brother Axton about five years ago. He's a curly-headed blond, just like his mom. Sky's nice, and she's actually good friends with my mom now. She has a son named Tanner from her ex-husband. He's eleven or so, and enjoys weird nerd things like "computer programming." Since Tanner's dad isn't in the picture, we're basically all one big family. Dad only lives down the street, so I pretty much have two moms. I've been lucky.

Jane wasn't so lucky. She just has a mom and an older brother. Their story isn't very complicated. One day Jane's mom took the kids to a lake house for the weekend so their dad could get his work done easily. When they returned, he had packed all of his things, and all that was left of him were signed divorce papers and note saying he had moved to China.

Something you have to understand about Lydia is that she's always wanted a sister. And when Jane was born, her family decided to move into a bigger house. My mom and Jane's mom had been roommates in college, and the house across the street from ours that was for sale was exactly the size her family wanted. Eventually, when I was probably two months away from being born, they moved into the house across the street. Because neither girls had a sister, they became a sister to each other. At least, that's the way Lydia tells the story. I trust that her version is at least ninety percent reliable.

Lydia insists that Jane doesn't like me, at least not in a romantic way. But I won't give up, not ever. Not on her.

____________________________________________________________________________________

So, questions? Comments? Complaints?
This is my first wattpad story so feedback is much appreciated.
Thank you so much for reading and please vote! (If you want :))
-Char ❤️