TSCC: Episode 1, Chapter 8

DISCLAIMER: I do not own these characters or the show.

_______________________________________________________

EPISODE 1

I'LL ALWAYS FIND YOU: Chapter 8

It occurred to John that this was the first time he and Cameron had really been alone since being reunited. Just the two of them. It gave John time to think about the events of the past 24 hours.

So much has happened. I had no time to think, I just acted on what I felt was right. Isn't that what makes me John Connor? My instincts? Hasn't that been what has gotten me where I am today?

But John was smart enough to know that although it was acceptable to follow his instincts in the moment, that doesn't mean he shouldn't ask questions later.

He and Cameron had been sitting together, not speaking for what he estimated was about 20 minutes. Their shoulders weren't quite touching, but John knew that if he moved even slightly, that they would be. He turned to look at Cameron. She, of course, knew that he had turned towards her, so she did the same as her head turned too. Their eyes met, which threw John off for a moment, forgetting what he had been about to say. But after a moment, he came back to his senses and remembered.

"Why didn't you just tell me?"

Cameron cocked her head to the side, as she usually did when she didn't understand something.

Knowing the reason for this, John clarified.

"Why didn't you just explain to me that you were beyond repair and needed to come here to get a new body?"

Without thought, Cameron replied instantly. "I didn't want you to worry."

She said it so matter-of-factly, that John almost didn't realize that she was wrong.

"But I did worry. I had no idea what had happened. I didn't know if I'd ever get you back. If you had just explained to me what you needed to do, I could've come with you."

"But I didn't want you to come with me."

Hearing this, John felt a pain in his heart, and tore his eyes away from hers. Then what am I doing here?

Cameron noticed his change in mood, and surprisingly realized the cause of it.

"It's too dangerous here. Too many things can go wrong. I was protecting you."

Cameron paused to see if this made John feel better. It didn't.

"I'm glad you came."

At this, John's eyes found Cameron's again, but Cameron could now see the confusion in his face.

"You shouldn't have come, and I never would have asked you to, but I am glad that you are here. Especially now that we are together and you are safe. We should be able to leave soon, and there is only a 23.7% chance that you will face immediate danger between then and now."

This made John smile slightly, and then a thought occurred to him. "You said you're glad I'm here."

Cameron paused, waiting for John to continue.

"That night, before I left for Mexico, you said you can't be happy."

"It's true. I don't experience emotions and moods the way you would. But my body and my chip produce responses to particular situations in a similar way that your body and brain produce responses to the same situations."

"Is that normal? I mean, when we first met, you said that you were different. Is this one of the things that makes you different?"

"Yes. As far as I know, I am the only Terminator with this ability. For other Terminators, it is simply enough to simulate the responses externally in order to be successful at infiltration."