Introduction Chapter 1

We, the people of the forest
We pray to the moon when she is full
We gift her with a mighty howl from all of our hearts
We, the people of the forest
The trees fall, come Autumn
We worship the leaves though they show the trees' spirits
We, the people of the forest
We love our land as much as we love our mates
We cherish those things given to us from the moon Goddess
We, the people of the forest
We cherish those lives lost in war
We worship them all, even the enemies
We, the people of the forest
The Gods threatened to kill us
Us wolves and supernaturals
We, the people of the forest
And the supernaturals too
Cannot blend ourselves with humans and create a new being
We, the supernaturals of the forest
Know it is not supposed to be possible,
But we, the wolves of the forest
We made it possible.

. . .

*3rd Person POV*

The man laid in the hospital bed, barely breathing. His son Isaac, his grandson Irwin, and his mate Diana stood next to me. Diana was also very old and sick, but not as sick and old as the man was. Suddenly, his eyes begin to fog over and flutter closed, and his brain becomes too foggy to speak. He breathes his last breath without another word escaping his lips.

. . .

*POV Kenneth*

I rush through the hallway to get to room 127 with my medicine cart, with the doctor running close by me. I knew we shouldn't have left that old man and his family by himself. We burst into the room, and the man's wife was quietly weeping as her son and grandson stare at the man's dead body with no emotion. The heart monitor was holding a long and continuous beep while the doctor and I stood in the door frame. I felt the emptiness of the man's body looming over all of our heads.

. . .

My name is Kenneth Holland, and I am 14 years old. In case if you were wondering, I do not work at a hospital, I volunteer at one. I want to study to be a doctor in college, so I'm helping the hospital that I would like to work at. Hopefully I can try to get a job there once I finish school. That is, if the people like me at the hospital.

I wake up the next morning to my alarm waking me up for school. Gosh, how much I hate school, and how much I hate Mondays especially. I slowly drag myself out of my bed in only my underwear, and my old soccer t-shirt.

I put on my green polo shirt to match my green eyes, a pair of khaki shorts, a pair of black crew socks, and my new pair of black vans. Yeah, I might look and seem like a fuck boy, but in actuality I'm a nice guy. I haven't ever really had that many girlfriends either, but when it comes to how many girls (and now sometimes even guys) have had a crush on me; I can't even count. If I think about it too hard, it actually upsets me a bit.

Once I'm done getting ready, I walk to my best friend Oliver's house. Oliver lives right down my street, on the way to school, conveniently. Oliver and I both walk to school together when it isn't raining or anything like that. We live in Washington state so it's always cold here. I knock on Oliver's door, and Oliver comes right out on command.

"Oh! Kenney! I was just about to come to your house," he says, standing in the door way. Oliver was wearing a bright purple polo shirt, a pink bow tie, and his famous yellow suspenders. I'm sure that by his description of what he was wearing tells you that he is obviously the typical flaming and nerdy type of gay. Despite his sexuality, he will always be, and he always has been, my best friend.

It is a bit odd that I'm straight and him; not so much, and we get questioned a lot about whether or not we were dating. But honestly, I don't mind it. Him and I are probably some of the most popular guys at our high school because of the fact that he's so stereotypically gay, and I'm so stereotypically straight. On top of that, we are best friends.

On our walk to school, I am listening to my music and Oliver is on his phone, just like normal. Something pushes me in the back of my mind to look to my left, and I see a dead wolf on the other side of the road. I tap Oliver's shoulder and say "Dude, look, that's a wolf!"

"Awww... The poor wolfie..!" he says, and runs across the street, without even looking out for cars. Oliver stops to check out the carcass. It seemed to be covered in blood. I follow him, and look down at the bloody wolf myself. This animal was pretty large for a wolf.

"Hey, that can't be a wolf, Oliver. It's way too big," I say to Oliver, who was staring at the wolf without blinking.

"What else could it be, Kenneth?" he asks.

"Uhh... I don't know," I kick the ground with my foot. "We should keep going before we're late to school," I say, and begin to walk off. I turn to see Oliver wave "good-bye" to the wolf carcass, and then he catches up to me.

For some strange reason, as I was walking away, I felt magnetized to the wolf. I wanted to turn around and cry over the loss. What happened to it, I wondered.

But who knows? I get those funny feelings a lot these days.