Chapter 1

I stare down at the ground below. The pavement is a dark grey, it has yellow lines dividing the lot into parking stalls. I lean against the railing of the roof of my school. Will today be the day? Can i leave this miserable world behind? I breath in some fresh Kyoto air.

" Disgusting."

• • •

Hello. My name is Takezō Kirita. Ive lived in Kyoto, Japan all my life. At the age of seven, my parents were killed in a car crash. I survived, but my left leg was badly crippled, i have a limp, and i now must wear a brace on it.

After the accident, since non of my immediate family wanted me, i was sent to a group home till the age of ten. Then, i was sent off to live with a foster family. There, the father was always drunk and took his anger out on me, the mother was always stressed and was almost never home, and they had a horrible son who was two years older than me and made it his job to make my time there an awful experience.

When my social worker found out about that, i was switched to a new foster home. I liked them; they were a older couple who had never had kids but wanted some. They spoiled me, they made me feel special. I even made some friends at the middle school i was attending. Two years later, the woman has a heart attack and dies. The man then goes into a deep depression and later commits suicide.

I am then transferred to another foster house. I kept being moved. I developed a severe social anxiety. Now, i live on my own in an apartment close to my high school. I live off all the money that my parents left me in their will. At school i am bullied and i am called many horrible names. They laugh at my cuts at beat me up for fun. I hate it.

Many a times i have tried to end my life. The first time, I swallowed 5 packs of pills that i found in the school nurses office. The second time, I smoked a whole pack of cigarettes in an hour. They had to remove on of my lungs. This is my sixth attempt. Maybe this time i can escape this prison of a life.

• • •

I step over the railing at hang over the edge. The cement below is calling out to me. I test the air with my foot while hanging onto the bar. Even if I'm trying to kill myself it doesn't mean I'm not scared. I can hear somebody running up the stairs to the roof. Its time. I close my eyes, breath out and let go...

I feel myself falling forwards. Its feels like time is slowing. Then! Arms! Around me! I am no longer falling. I turn around." What the fuck! Let me go!!!" The person, no the girl looks up at me. Tears fill her eyes, her cheeks are red. Its Saki Yamada, the most popular freshman girl at our high school.

" Please!" She's crying. " Kirita-senpai! Don't let your life end like this!" She hugs tighter.

" What life? You call this torture of mine a life!? Why would someone like you even care about someone like me? Just let me die!!" Now im crying.

" Because, Takezō Kirita, i love you!"

What? What is she saying?

" If anything." She sobs." Let me be your reason to live!"