I Don't Understand

"Dammit, they're at it again."

"Those two will turn this city to rubble before they get along."

"IIIIZAAYAAAA!!!!"

A vending machine flew through the air as Shizuo chased after Izaya. It was another day of the same scenario: Izaya had crossed Shizuo's line of sight, and chaos ensued.

"Catch me if you can Shizu-chan!"

"You're dead you little flea, you hear me!!? Dead!!"

"Oh Shizu-chan, you're such a tease."

"AAAGGGH!!"

Shizuo was angry today, like any other day, but something felt off. Something about Izaya. Was he running a bit slower than usual? Was his voice a little hoarser? He seemed skinnier too. Shizuo shook his head to clear it. Why should he be worrying about that little flea anyway? He hated Izaya's guts.... didn't he?

Izaya took a sharp turn into an alleyway and leaned against the wall to catch his breath. His chest was tight and he felt a heavy cough rising in his throat. He let it out, the force rattling his weak frame. Izaya slid down the wall and drew his knees closer to himself. He closed his eyes and coughed again, trying to gain control over his breathing. 'Get ahold of yourself Izaya' He thought to himself. 'You're okay, just breath. Remember what the doctor said.' He took three more shaky breaths, then rose off the cold damp ground to make his way home, not noticing the curiously concerned pair of eyes watching him exit the alley.

Shizuo didn't understand. All this time he just thought the flea was devious and a huge annoyance to everyone.

Shizuo had devoted part of his life to trying to rid the world of Izaya Orihara, and it turned out something else had the same idea.