A Tale of Tails

Prologue

I believe in mermaids

Sea is my home

Water is like the air I breathe

Give me the magic

Make me one of yours

I want to be part of the ocean

My mom used to sing this song to me when I was little. She said, “Sing this when you’re in the water, and you’ll become one. Mermaids do exist, Tallulah dear. You’re one of us.”

I couldn’t forget that song.

That’s my incantation.

That is what will change me.

Change me to become what I was meant to be.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That day, Tallulah was sitting in her front porch. The wind that blows softly makes her feel sleepy. It was warm and sunny day. Suddenly, her mind was wandering and take her to the day the parents told her how they got here in the first place.

15 years ago, Dee and Dyllon Araluen, Tallulah's parents left the Land of the Mermaids, and they found this place, the place where there are not a lot of human staying around, infact, there’s almost none of them.

They found a house near the shore. They said, the house we've been living was a wrecked at first. So they tried to rebuilt it. Tallulah can't imagine how it could become like this, this is the loveliest house she has ever seen.

That time, Dee was pregnant with her brother, Callum. And 3 years later, they had her. Tallulah was born in Land, that makes her different from her brother and her parents.

Tallulah had been living here, in this land for like her whole life. With a house near the shore. She never want to move from this place, neither does her family. 'This place is our sanctuary.' they said and she's agree.

She guess, Callum, Dee and Dyllon feel comfort this way, but somehow, deep down her heart, she knows she wants something more.

as she reminiscing, her eyes catch Callum as he swims freely in the ocean with his gorgeous, long, dark blue tail. She loves her brother so much. He is very important to her. like she'll be lost without him.

“Tallulah honey,” Mom calling from inside.

“Yes mom?” she replies softly.

“Why don’t you go swim, dear? Instead of just watching your brother swims.”

“Maybe I will mom, thanks for the suggestion.”

“Be careful, have fun.”

she stands up and slowly starts to run as fast as she could, as she gets closer, closer to the borderline of wet and dry, she stops. Callum saw her and he tries to get closer.

“Tal, c’mon!” said Callum.

she doesn’t reply him.

“don’t let me take all the fun” said Callum, again.

“You,.. It’s unfair!” she starts to complained.

“why? About what, lil sis?”

“you just… you could have those tail just by touching the water. While, as for me, I have to sing the Incantation, to be a mermaid” she explain jealously.

she knows that she shouldn't suppose to bring that up when she sees a change of expression on Callum’s face.

“If I could trade it, I would. For you, I will do anything.” He said desperately.

“I’m sorry, Callum, I just… I’m sorry for what I’ve said.” she doesn’t mean it.

“that’s okay lil’ sis! You probably can't see the advantages right now, but you will someday. Now, now, where’s that cute smile I love to see?”

she smile. in her heart, she said, 'Only for him, this smile only for him.'

“There they are! C’mon, the weather’s really good today. I’m sure you don’t want to miss this!”

“okay, wait!” she shouted. Callum is almost leaving. or she thought.

“I’m here. And right now, I want to hear your beautiful voice!”

She step forward so her feet can feel the water and drowns her feet and she starts to chant.

she can see her own tail comes out for the exchange of her legs. Pink, lovely tail. She talks in her mind, "not as gorgeous and as long as Callum’s. But he always said that he loves my tail, and he loves me. I always keep that in my heart. I'll never want to be far away from him, ever."

“where do you want to go, lil' sis?” asked Callum with a big smile on his face.

“Anywhere.” she replied with a smile

“Okay, lil’ sis.”

from that moment, she knows, she has the best brother ever.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Notes: Tallulah is kinda brother complex, and she is abit different from the rest of her family, because she'll be okay if she touches the water, while other will transform to half-human-half-fish. she's 12 years old and Callum is 3 years older. 

This is my first time writing a story and it’s about a Mermaid. I just love mermaids story, don’t you? :) Enjoy reading it. I’m so sorry for the bad grammar.

Please leave comments and critics.

-

thanks for reading! ♥

i'll upload soon :)