Jail, Secrets, and DisGUYses

*Authors note: I know that this story is impossible. I know that the constitution states that people are innocent until proven guilty, therefore what Natalie’s mom is doing is illegal. But I wrote this story when I was younger when I didn’t know that. I still want to share it with you because I thought it was a cute, funny story! :) 

A short, unrealistic story written by Marina Magnelli

Originally written in 2008 – Rewritten & Edited in 2010 + 2011

A Special Thanks To…Olivia Hacker

Prologue

Hi. My name is Natalie Montez. My mom is the head chief of police here in Westridge, Montana. She doesn’t let anyone get away with ANYTHING. Hey, that reminds me…

One time there was a robbery at the local jewelry store right next to a restaurant called the Cooke House. It’s a one of a kind family owned restaurant. And of course, every time there is a crime, my mom is there. But that’s the bad part. She is very impatient. If there’s a crime called in, Mom’s there, and without any hesitation, she arrests the person, or people. Without any evidence, half of the time. Is it legal? I don’t know. She’s a policewoman. Doesn’t that give her the right? Well, that’s what she thinks. I try to tell her to slow down, after all, these people might be innocent! And this is the story of the summer where it began.

***

Of course, I heard about the robbery at the store, so I went to go check it out. I heard that a man and his son got arrested. The man was apparently around 50 years old, and his son 18 – my age. Now, we don’t find these partnership crimes unusual, although I do find it quite sad that a father would bring his son into a lifestyle of robbery. Anyway, I had this weird gut feeling that these people were innocent. Of course I couldn’t prove it or come to any conclusions, but honestly, neither could my mom. But you know those gut feelings – they usually always turn out to be right…

So I followed my instinct and went to check out the 16 year olds cell. Oh…wow. I had never seen someone so sad, yet angry at the same time. He was sitting on the cement bench, gripping his light brown hair in his fingers, looking at his feet with his brow furrowed.

“You okay?” I asked, a little nervously. I mean, just because I had one of those gut feelings doesn’t mean I’m right…you never know in a jail.

He looked up. “Psh, does it look like I’m okay?!” he bolted back at me.

“Uh, is that a trick question?” All he did was roll his eyes at me. I wasn’t making any progress. “Anyway, I’m Natalie,” I said, trying to make things a little better after a bad start.

No response.

“Um, okay…and you are?”

“…Not. Happy.” Hmm…really?