The Shadows

I walked silently around the corner. I stopped and listened to the emptiness of the room. It was at that moment that I could feel my heart racing, and I knew that this was no longer just a dream. This was reality. I had heard before that if you count your fingers in your dreams, a lot of the times you end up with extras. I started to count….”One, two… three….”

I heard a slight shuffle come from across the room. I stopped and held my breath.

I looked at my hand and silently kept going. I have five on my left hand, now my right. I heard the shuffling again and looked up.

He stood no less than twenty feet away from me. I could smell the cologne he was wearing, it was strong and it surprisingly smelled nice. In the dark the only thing visible about him was his snow white hair and piercing green eyes. A dim light off the side showed the dark silhouette that surrounded him. From what I could tell he was tall and lean, and his posture was relaxed and inviting. He had long skinny fingers that wrapped around his crossed arms. Upon his index finger was a bright blue ring that shown when he moved the slightest bit. I had seen the ring many times before in my dreams, but never this close. I could make out the shape of a dragon on the side. He was dressed in all black, or what had seemed like black in the darkness. He leaned against the wall, pushing himself further from the light as he spoke.

“You could have just given up, given in. Yet here you stand, still fighting for him. I could have given you everything you wanted. Yet, here we are just you and me. “His eyes pierced mine as if he were looking into my soul, looking beyond the outer shell of my life. He was searching for any small hint of fear. “You are my love and one day I will be yours.”

I had been confined here, with him, for the last two hours. I had watched the clock slowly tick away my time. It had been so long that I was no longer afraid; he was searching me for nothing at this point. I could no longer feel anything but fear for him. He had taken away everything I loved, everything that ever had any meaning to me. He destroyed me. Now it was time to return the favor.

I thought for a few minutes. Could he really love anybody? Did he have normal human emotions?  In a way he was human, but stuck between the two realms he was just a shadow.

Then it hit me. The words started to form in my head. Before I could think of something else I had formed the words:

“Tonight our pasts are realigned,

Joined together for one last time.

Bound my love is all we are,

Bleeding from the same shared scar….”

I looked at my palm; the circular scar lit up and burned my skin.

“…Your weakness haunts me till the end,

I know by now, you aren’t my friend.

Bound by love is all we are,

Never thought I’d get this far.

Tonight I break this deathly spell,

This horrid night I once befell.

Forever gone you are to me,

Freedom is what it comes to be.”

“You can say that, but it is what you really feel that will break anything dear.” He countered. He smirked; he knew exactly how this worked. This wasn’t his first walk in the park and I knew it.

I had let my guard down too much. I knew as soon as it hit me I was too late. He had been observing my every move. He was in my head, searching for what he needed. I tried to block him from the information, but the harder I tried the harder it became to concentrate. My head started to spin and everything went black.