New Beginnings

Everyday. Everyday she sits on the bus, alone and silent, watching the sun rise. Everyday she watches the bus slowly ease and come to a stop as she observes her unfamiliar surroundings. But today is different, she notices an apartment that catches her eye. She immediately focuses on it and only it. She keeps studying as if it's a question that she cannot quite understand.

'What is it?' She thinks quietly to herself. 'What is it about this place that is so familiar?' Then suddenly it hits her. 'Here. Here is where it all happened.' She had read about it in the newspaper somewhere when she had first arrived. A girl was held captive for days and was brutally murdered. The victim was a young woman who met a guy online and stayed the night at his house. Not more than a week later and she was dead, found in his bed. The girl hadn't been older than Rebekah was, but still she could not shake the sense of familiarity and responsibility for her death. She wish she could of been there to protect, to save her. She felt as if she was the poor girl's superior, like a big sister. It would have been the only family she had or, never the less, knew. She could of sworn that she knew the girl. She brushed off the thought with a sigh and the bus continued to move on.

She had finally arrived at school. It was her second day there and she still hadn't talked or met anyone. The scene was very different from that of what she knew. She was in the "system". Rebekah was born in Brookhaven, Mississippi. She always managed to stay in her small town in spite of her foster mother's hate towards her. Every once in a while a seemingly perfect couple would take her in, offering all of their love and care. But after a few months, she would always end up back in the same place. Everyone would always send her back, saying, "She just doesn't connect with us" or "She's just too old". It was always the same lines, but Rebekah knew what they really meant. They didn't want her because of her inability to fit in. No matter where she went, no matter who she was with, she was always an outcast. Everyone thought that she was weird. She knew this, but got use it it. Every time she entered a crowd, she could feel how they shift uncomfortably, how they suddenly repelled from her. It had happened to her all of her life. It became so much art of her daily routine that she didn't even care anymore. Rejection followed her around like a magnet. She knew that she could never rid herself of it, yet she still hoped. Every time she was introduced to a temporary, new home, she got attached. She couldn't help it. She knew that nothing good could come from it, but she always remembered the little things. She remembered how Mr. Finneley liked his coffee, black with two sugars. She remembered Mrs.Rhinestones roughly burnt and tarred cookies. She remembered Ms.Black's scrunched up, wrinkly face and how she would always sniffle. She remembered everything, but they seemed to easily forget. Every time they would send her back to the factory for their refund or a better version of her, their memories of her would wither. She would become "That one odd girl" or "What's-her-name". She would fade from their minds like air in the wind and the whole process would constantly repeat itself.

Rebekah emerged into the classroom. She felt the world stare at her. It wasn't bad enough that she started mid-year, but just as of today she had all new classes and she was late to every one of them. She felt the burn of red fill her cheeks and her nails clench against her palm. The teacher musts have noticed her standing all dumbfounded and what not, because he walked up to her and grabbed her arm before she could mentally choose her seat. He stood there, squeezing her circulation to a stop.

"There, there, now everyone settle down and take your seats. I have an announcement. We have a new student." He released Rebekah from his restraint. "What's your name?" he asked.

"Rebekah." She muttered with no rhythm at all.

"Welcome, Rebekah. Say to the class a few things about yourself then Take a seat. Class will begin immediately and don't expect me to go easy on you because your new here. I am Mr. Silverstone. This is AP Biology. Got that?" He hindered.

Rebekah shook her head, feeling stupid for not coming up with a witty retort for his rudeness. She suddenly realized how long she had been standing there and that everyone was staring.

She immediately took her seat, with the anxiety hitting her once again. As Mr. Silverstone eased into his previous and utterly dull topic, she closed her eyes and prayed for a sweet release as she drifted off into a deep sleep.