Natural Stone

Materials used in natural stone floors include limestone, marble, slate, quartzite, granite, flagstone, sandstone, and travertine. The most obvious advantage of stone flooring is its drama and beauty. However, it can be quite expensive, and some varieties require more maintenance than the modern homeowner is used to. Also, it is important to determine whether your home(or whatever structure you are considering) can withstand the weight of a stone floor.

Travertine

Travertine is a natural sedimentary rock that belongs to the limestone family. In fact, if limestone is placed under immense pressure for a long time, it becomes travertine. In turn, travertine placed under pressure for a long time becomes marble.

Manufacturers cut the stones into thin tiles and then put a finish on the tiles. There are four basic finishes: polished, honed, brushed, and tumbled.

Polished tiles are shiny because the stone is highly polished until it is smooth enough to reflect light. Honed tiles, polished just enough to create a flat, smooth surface, have a matte finish. Brushed and tumbled tiles are textured.

Travertine has been used in building for thousands of years (it was the Romans who first used it for flooring), and today it is also used for countertops, flooring, showers, and wallcoverings. Its hardness is similar to other stone tile floors, but, like marble, travertine can break, chip, and crack. For high-traffic areas, some experts suggest using travertine mosaic flooring because the smaller size can help prevent cracking, as sometimes happens with larger tiles. Most travertine tiles found at retail have a Measurement of Hardness (MOH) rating of three or four, which is comparable to marble.

Travertine is particularly noted for its many beautiful colors - including ivory, beige, walnut, and gold - that can add to the beauty of any room. Travertine stone flooring that has been polished and sealed is easy to clean and is both hygienic and environmentally friendly. It can even contribute to the air quality in your home because it does not absorb odors, chemicals, or gases. Dirt stays on the surface of the sealed stone, rather than being absorbed, and can easily be removed. However, if unsealed and unpolished, it is porous and susceptible to acids. Even common things such as vinegar or orange juice can affect and stain your unsealed travertine flooring. For this reason, you may want to avoid unsealed travertine flooring in areas where you will prepare and serve food. Polished and sealed travertine, on the other hand, is durable and reliable. But since polished travertine is very slippery when wet, you might want to choose one of the other finishes for the bathroom.

As with all other varieties of tile and stone, The Floor Store has a wide selection of travertine tile, in stock and ready to install. And because The Floor Store is a direct importer, even their top-of-the-line prices will pleasantly surprise you.

There are six Floor Store Bay Area locations, in Albany, Concord, Dublin, San Rafael, Santa Rosa, and Pittsburg. Visit www.floorstores.com to find the store nearest you.