The Tell-Tale Heart: Psychiatrist's Notes

This story is the veiw of the psychiatrist who took the killer as his patient (not quite willingly) after his old patient, the murder victim, had been killed by said new patient. 

       Session Date: August 12, 1843, 12:14pm

       Name of Patient: Gregory Smith

       Reason: Killed Fredrick Lerrington because of his "Cursed Eye". Believes he is completely sane, although he admits he does have a mental disease, still unknown. Most likely Bi-Polar Disorder or Schizophrenia. Possibly ADD. 

       Distinctive Features: Very twitchy, doesn't make eye contact at all, constantly looks at floorboards, doesn't realize his volume level.

       Started conversation at 12:16pm:

       "Mr Smith, is it?" He nodded quickly, but still didn't look at me, staring at the torn up floorboards. To make him a little more comfortable, I wanted to keep this session at his place. Maybe he'll feel it's safe to talk to me here. "Are you nervous?"

       "True, I have been nervous... Very nervous," I smiled. Finally he speaks. 

       "Do you believe you're mad?" He shook his head violently, and as he tried to get up to walk around, I summoned he sit down. I do not need a rogue killer roaming the streets. 

       "Why do you say that I am mad? My senses have never been sharper!" He bellowed this, and I grimaced. I always have a headache the first time I see a patient. I'm an odd person that way. 

        "I don't believe you're mad, bu-" He interupted and stood up, trying to seem intimidating. 

       "Observe how calmly I can tell thre whole story..." I shook my head and said as calmy as possible,

       "Please, stop yelling. I have a massive headache, and I am becoming irritated with your inncolence." He glared at me.

       "I cannot say where the idea came from, but once it entered my brain, it haunted me day adn night," I scribbled down, Idea haunts him.  He started again,

       "I had nothing against the old man. He was my benefactor, and I loved him. He had never wronged me. I did not want his gold," Gold? The old man had gold? 

       "What was wrong witih him? What issue did you have with him?" He sat down once again, and looked thoughtfully into the fire a few feet away.

       "I think it was his eye..." His eye... Oh yes! The old man had one blind eye. But how was that an issue? "Yes, it was this! One of them, the right one, had a pale blue film... It made my blood run cold!" I was quite confused. I know it was disturbing to look at... But I still didn't have the ability to feel the urge to kill Fredrick.

        "What was wrong with the eye that made you angry?" But even after seconds of silence changed to minutes of no response, he ignored my question and continued on his story. 

        "Gradually I made up my mind to take the old mans life... And rid myself of that eye forever!" I couldn't believe the fact that I was chosen as this mans psychiatrist. Why would the police deem me suitable for this psychopath. He looked at me evilly, and walked slowly towards me, smiling. "You still think  me mad? But look how slowly and cautiously I proceeded." 

       "I still don't understand why you would kill him. How did you act towards the old man, Mr. Lerrington as it was? In those last days, how did you act towards the old man? Were you cruel, or kind, or...?" He smiled and continued, putting his arms behind his back and pacig back and forth. 

       "I  was never kinder to the old man than during the week before I killed him," Interesting... Silence before the storm, the quiet before the pounce. Is what I scribbled down. "Every midnight, I would open his chanber door, oh so gently." Hmm... I think I';m going to silence him soon. His story is taking way to long.  I have another patient in a few minutes. 

       "Im deeply sorry, sir, but you need to see someone of a higher degree." And with that, I walked out, with him screaming for me to stay.