Chapter 1

Hiro raised his glass high in the air, smiling brightly down at the people in front of him.

"To Tadashi!"

"To Tadashi!" The crowd roared after him, lowering their cups and turning their attention from Hiro, who was walking down the steps of the stage he'd been standing on, and to Mr. Krei, who was moving towards the microphone centerstage.

"Tadashi Hamada... was a very bright man," he started, handing his glass off to an assistant with a small nod. "And although I didn't know him very well, I know he loved this school -- and so, I am glad to announce, the grand opening of the Tadashi Hamada Building!" This was followed by another series of cheers, and Krei slipped the mic from its stand and walked down the steps to where Hiro and Cass were standing, along with GoGo, Honey Lemon, Fred, and Wasabi. In front of them, a fat red ribbon was stretched out between two poles, and beyond that was a brand new building, in the exact spot where exactly two years ago -- the previous one had burned to the ground.

"Will you do the honors?" Krei spoke into the microphone, looking directly at Hiro, who was holding a pair of giant scissors. Hiro nodded and stepped forward, positioning the ribbon so it was between the two large blades. Without hesitation, he snapped them closed and let the loose, red strips fall away, marking the official grand opening of the new building.

"Tadashi'll appreciate this," Honey whispered, setting a hand on Hiro's shoulder. He smiled again and turned back to look at everyone gathered in front of him. They were beginning to pour down the sidewalk, and towards the big glass double doors.

"Yeah, I think he will."

It had been two years since the day the school burned down -- and since Tadashi's death. For two years, Big Hero Six had patrolled the streets of San Fransokyo. It'd been a few months since Hiro's sixteenth birthday, and a few months since he'd gotten the message that the Tadashi building was almost completely finished. Finally, today they were re-opening the San Fransokyo Institute of Technology.

Baymax walked up to stand next to Hiro, following his gaze to the building entrance.

"Tadashi is here," he chirped.

"Uh huh," Hiro mumbled. Baymax constantly told him this, and though it was hardly any consolation to Hiro, he was grateful nonetheless.

~~~

"He'd be what now -- 20?" Hiro sipped his coffee and nodded. After wandering the halls of the new Tadashi building, the team had retired to the cafe, where they had been camping out at the table in the far corner for the past three hours.

"I wonder if he would have ever considered a beard...?" Honey muttered with a bright smile. GoGo snorted, spilling a few drops of her hot drink all over her lap.

"I hope not!" Wasabi handed her a napkin, unable to keep a small smile from creeping onto his face.

"It would have aged him too much."

Hiro, having not said much since they'd gotten back, pulled his knees closer to his chest and set his now empty cup on the table.

"You okay buddy?" Wasabi asked him quietly, nudging him with his elbow.

"Yeah," Hiro shrugged him off, "fine. Just thinking."

"Sorry to stop the party, but I'm about to close up now!" Cass announced, pounding down the stairs and towards the group of friends, Mochi at her heels.

There were a series of groans and squeaking as Hiro's friends pushed their chairs back, standing up to say goodbye. Hiro grabbed his sweatshirt and slung it over one arm, turning to accept hugs from Honey and Fred, a pat on the shoulder from Wasabi, and a light punch on the arm from GoGo, then they were out the door.

Hiro brushed past Aunt Cass and trudged up the stairs to his room. Baymax was at the door to greet him, following him to his desk, where he sat down with a thud in his chair, spinning it around to set his head on the wood.

"Hiro?" Baymax stepped closer, tilting his head slightly.

"I miss him Baymax," Hiro croaked, voice breaking as he did so. "I miss him... so much."

"It is alright Hiro," Baymax said, reaching down to pat Hiro on the head. "Would you like me to scan you?" Hiro chuckled a little and buried his face farther into his arms.

"No Baymax, I'm fine." His voice was muffled, and tears began to well up in Hiro's eyes. He hadn't cried about Tadashi in a long time -- he'd tried to not even think about him much. But now, if he really tried to picture him, crying was almost inevitable.

"It is alright to cry."

"Yeah," Hiro sniffed, bringing his face up again and wiping his cheeks his the sleeve of his black sweatshirt. "I know."

"I know you miss him." Baymax stepped back again as Hiro rose from his seat.

"Yeah, I do. A lot."

Hiro leaned into Baymax, allowing the robot to wrap his pudgy arm around him.

"There there, everything will be alright."

"Yeah," Hiro whispered again, "I know, Tadashi is here."

"It's simple -- they'll be wherever crime is."
"What am I supposed to do? Blow up a store just to get their attention?" He scoffed.
"As long as they see it, it doesn't matter."
"But--" before the man could finish his sentence, the screen went dark, and he was left in silence.

Thank you for reading! I've been so excited to make this! I've been researching and planning, so it took longer to make this first chapter than I initially intended.
Just so you guys know, I will be editing this a lot, (though I'll let you know if anything major is changed) and I just hope you enjoy it! I've based some parts off of what I've heard the real movie is going to include, so it's as realistic as possible. If you've read stuff about the sequel online already, I ask you to please not spoil it for people who haven't. Though a lot of this plot is completely original, so you're in for a surprise either way ^_^
Thanks again! ~ Bella