Nothing is as it Seems

Moving

"Mia, let's go or we're going to be late!"

I never thought moving would be so hard, but it's probably worth it. 

"Mia?" my mother repeated.

"I'm coming!"

It will be the last time I am walking down these stairs.

"Come on, Mia.  Get in the car!"  I never really liked the car; it just had that old person smell.  It almost made me want to vomit from how vile the smell was.

"Mom?"

"Yes?"

"Where are we moving to?" I was afraid to ask that because it is probably a place I would never move to.

"Mia, just be patient.  You will see when we get there!"  Mom sounded really excited.  I guess she thinks that I would love our new home.  I am hoping that I will love it because if I don't, it will take me a while to get used to living there.

Pit-stop

Mom drove up to an AM-PM.  I couldn't wait to get out of the car and strength my legs.

"Mom, do you need anything?  Supplies, food maybe?"

"Yes.  I need fifty dollars on pump 4.  While you're there, make sure to use the restroom before we drive again.  It's going to be another two hours or so before we get there, okay?"

"Yes, mom."

This AM-PM appeared to be larger than other AM-PMs that I've been to.  It was like a mini Wal-Mart.  I love this AM-PM; it has all my favorite foods and snacks.  I purchased a freshly made double cheeseburger with a small cup of regular Coca-Cola for me and a spicy hot dog with a medium cup of Sprite for my mother.  I felt weird having to pay for both food and gas at the cashier.  Usually, I just buy myself something to eat and mom would have to worry about gas by herself.

    After paying, I turned around only to bump into a fairly large figure.  Suddenly surprised, I fell to the ground and so did the other person.  Immediately flushed with embarrassment from spilling the drinks and dropping the bag of food, I looked up immediately and began speaking without thinking.

    "What the heck?!  Watch where..." I stopped as soon as my eyes caught the most muscular arms of this man towering over me.  I didn't even see him stand.  "...oh, nevermind."  He looked strong and had that washing aura of stranger danger all over him.  I'm more surprised that I was even capable of knocking him down.

    "Sorry about that." I blurted and looked down, immediately noticing a large puddle of Coca-Cola and Sprite mixing together and soaking the ground.  I was scared and embarrassed all at once.  I realized that my pants were wet from the spill and I initially sounded like a jerk, but then I heard him laughing heartily.

    "Don't worry about it.  I should be the one apologizing.  I should've watched where I was going." he said calmly, extending his arm towards me to help me up.  I grabbed his hand and lifted myself up, carefully trying not to slip from the puddle.

    "Thanks." I said quietly and looked down nervously.  I heard the cashier calling to someone to come and clean the mess.  The bag of food hovered just in front of me.  I looked up and saw the man holding it, beckoning me to take it from him.

    "I'm Kaleb." he said as I took the bag from him.  Just like that?  Was this a forgive-and-forget moment?  I looked up at him, trying to hold back my smile from the relief of him moving on.

    "I'm Mia.  Nice to meet you, Kaleb."  He was smiling at me as if nothing happened.  I could've been outside by now, eating my double cheeseburger and on my way.  Mom's probably waiting for me and wondering why I'm taking so long.  "Well, I have to go.  Sorry about all that."  The cashier gave me the nod to refill my cups of soda.  I did just that and rushed out the store as soon as I could.  I could feel his eyes gazing and burning holes through me and I could tell he wanted to say something else, but I did not want to give him that chance.  Something told me I shouldn't talk to him.