Prologue

There's a wall up in front. It was put up a long time ago since I couldn't trust anything or anyone outside of it. It was up for one reason, and that was to avoid having a relationship with someone. I get that in this day and age all teens seem to think about is that special someone, but I don't think it's all that worth it. He's just going to come into your life, capture your heart, and in the end he'll just drop it like it's nothing special. I'm not going to let that happen again.

Everything I could possibly need is already within my grasp. What more could I ask for? My parents were the best, always being there for me and working hard for my sake. I had THE best older brother in the entire world! I could debate with you about that if you wanted to. He was the protective type, and I'm very thankful to have him by my side, especially when things got pretty rough. I'm fine with the way things are and I don't intend to change anything about it...

College is usually the time where a lot of people tend to meet their so-called "significant other" if it didn't happen in high school. My group of friends and I are still single at the moment, but I don't think they'll stay that way for long. As for me, I think...

"Leigh Anne, are you writing again?"

I quickly shut my journal when I heard the voice behind me. I turned around to come face-to-face with my best friend, Jessalyn. Her bright blue eyes stared at me and she bend over me sitting on the grass. Her curly dark brown hair looked stunning as usual going along with the wardrobe she chose this morning. I put my journal back in my bag and stood up.

"New journal?" she asks. "I see music notes on this one. Where's the one with the hummingbird?"

"Finished," I replied. "I just bought a new one this weekend."

"Seriously, you're going to be twenty in a few months and you still write in a journal? I mean, we're not teenagers anymore you know. We're going to be graduating in two years and you'll be on your way to medical school. There's no time to be writing out your feelings onto paper. Instead, you'll be writing prescriptions and-"

"Okay I get it Jes. But you know me. Writing is something I do. I don't care if I'm a grown woman now. There's no harm in keeping a journal."

She just rolls her eyes at me. That was always my response whenever she brought up the subject about my journal. She doesn't understand how writing keeps me in check. I write my thoughts out in order to stay calm and not let the things around me get the best of me.

"Come on, we're going to be late," Jes says to me as she pulls my arm. "Music club is supposed to be meeting today and I totally forgot to tell you."

"What? Why is there a meeting in the middle of the week? It can't wait until Friday?" I asked as I was dragged behind her. "And slow down! I can't run as fast as you!"

"We have to hurry! A professional is supposed to be coming to help us and most likely become one of our mentors!"

That was news to me. We both ran into the music department building and rushed into the auditorium, which was already filling up with the members of the club. Jes dragged me through the crowd of students and to a couple of empty seats in the third row. We sat down and I looked up towards the stage to see new faces. One of them was a girl. She seemed about a year or two younger than me with long dark hair. Next to her was someone much older than she was. A man, I would still consider him young, with the same dark hair was standing next to her. He was handsome. The two look alike, so I wonder if they're siblings?

"Okay everyone please settle down!" the club advisor exclaimed and everyone settled in their seats. Jes nudged my arm and indicated to the man on stage.

"He's cute," she whispered. "If only we had guys like him closer to our age. Then again, I don't think he's that far off." She giggled and I rolled my eyes.

"Thank you for coming to our meeting on such a late notice. As most of you know, we have a big concert coming up this summer and we're lucky to have someone help us with our arrangements and performances. So without further ado, I would like to introduce you to a new member and a new instructor." 

On stage, the girl walked towards front center and spoke into the microphone that was set up there. She seemed a bit shy to be getting up in front of all us members here in the auditorium.

"Hello," her soft voice echoes into the microphone. "My name is Koralynn and I'm going to be a freshman attending this university starting this fall." The students in the room applauded after her brief introduction. "I will be joining this club along with my brother, who will be introducing himself shortly. I hope I can work with a lot of you in this department."

She went towards the back of the stage as the man, whom I'm assuming is her brother, comes up to the microphone. He smiles at everyone and I can hear some of the upperclassmen girls giggle.

"Good afternoon," he says in a deep voice that made even my eyes go wide. "I would like to thank you for your invitation for help with your department. I'm looking forward to working with all of you for the next six months. I specialize in multiple instruments, all from independent study and I have done multiple original arrangements of my own." Then his eyes meet mine. "My name is Xander."