I.Her

It was a busy Monday morning in March.

She was heading to the bus stop, walking fast under the pouring rain with her headphones on and the music blasting through her ears.

Her hair was wet and the raindrops kept falling gently over her cheeks.

She could barely see anything. Her glasses were soaked so she stopped on the corner of the street she was walking down to clean them with her over-sized red sweater.

As she was giving her glasses a wipe, she glanced at the passers-by.

Old men walking to the nearest shop to get the newspaper, mothers walking hand to hand with their children, businessmen and businesswomen...

Everyone seemed to be following the right path, the path that led to happiness and eternity.

She couldn't help but wonder if anyone was as lost as she thought she was.

Trying to put aside the existential thoughts, she put her glasses back on and joined the walking crowd to get to the bus stop that was going to take her to college.

She leant against the wall and waited for a long ten minutes to the bus to finally arrive.

On the one hand, she hated taking the bus. It was always late and her leap card never worked right.

But on the other hand, she liked getting to sit in front of him.

She got on the bus, trying without luck to make her card work straight away.

Then, she sat in her usual spot. In front of him.

She reached for her favourite poetry book which was at the bottom of her old black backpack and with the headphones still on, she leaned her head against the window and started reading.

The clock indicates the moment, but what does eternity indicate?

The bus was reaching the street.

She looked away from the verses and trying to be cautious, she looked at the reflection of the window to see his face.

His brown hair was messy and he still hadn't shaved. She found his stubble attractive.

He was wearing a stripped shirt and the end of the tattoo on his arm was starting to show.

He was focused on the view outside the window; and as he always did when the bus was reaching this street, he started tapping his feet on the floor.

He looked sour, yet his blue eyes were filled with sadness.

She smiled and looked back at her book.

He was too perfect.

He was everything a girl could ask for.

But she was everything a girl wouldn't want to be.