Life of a Pencil

I remember the day I was made. My mother was a white birch tree. She was tall and beautiful. My father was a recycled rubber tire. Older than my mother but he was very kind.

Together they made me, a pencil. Shortly after I was made I was put in a cardboard box and sent away.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The sound of screaming came from outside my box. Suddenly my box was swung around and a bright light invaded the dark box. I felt some small, chubby fingers grab me and pull me out. My eyes adjusted to the light and I saw I was in a giant room, full of children's toys and colourful cushions.

"Suzie? What are you going to draw today?" A kind voice says to the child holding me. The girl, I now know as Suzie giggles.

"I'm gonna draw my mammie and daddy!" She grins, her blond pigtails bouncing up and down. What does she mean draw? What's happening to me? Suzie runs over to a table and grabs a piece of paper. I'm scared.

I feel a grinding on my body and then I feel my skin being peeled away. Arrggg that hurts! Stop! Please stop!!! After what seems like forever the grinding stops. Then the girl presses me against the paper. And the pain is unbearable. If I had a mouth I would've been screaming in agony. Then the pain stops.

"Suzie? Can I borrow you pencil. " a little boy says. He walks up to Suzie.

"No Tommy! It's mine!" Suzie shrieks.

"I wanna use it!" Tommy shouts. He grabs me. Suzie grabs my other end. And then they pull.

"Give it!"

"No! It's my pencil!"

"I want it!"

My body cracks under the pressure. My wooden body splits in half. My body throbs in pain.

"Suzie! Tommy! That is enough! You can share!" A tall woman grabs me.

"We're sorry Ms.Gould." They say in unison.

"Go sit in the time out chair and think about what you did." Suzie and tommy sulk off the the corner.

"Tsk, tsk. What a waste of a perfectly good pencil. I know! I'll tape it up!" The woman walks over to her desk and grabs a long strip of tape. She wraps it along my cracked body. I never thought being a pencil would be this hard.

"Billy! What are you doing?" The teacher drops me on the floor and runs over to a little boy eating glue. From the air vent on the ceiling a gust of wind blows me and I begin to roll towards an open door. Woo! This is fun!!! Wheeeeeee! I forget about the pain in my body and roll out the door. I begin to roll down a busy hall. Men in suits and woman in sharp pointy shoes. A pointy heel slams down right beside me. I need to roll faster. I see the top of a ramp up ahead. I Speed towards it. And I'm off! I fly off the ramp and suddenly I'm flying though the air. And then I go out a window.

I land on some soft grass. I hear a loud bell ring. Teenagers rush out of a building across the street. Some in letterman jackets and short skirts. Others in skin tight pants and dark makeup. A boy wearing black skinny jeans and a touque crosses the street. He's coming over here. What should I do? Act casual. Act cool. I lay in the grass and he come over.

"Hmm, a pencil. Weird." He picks me up and shoves me in his back pocket. He puts his earbuds in his ears and I can here the noise blaring out of them. I don't know how long I was in that pocket but it smelled like sweat. Yuck.

He walks up to a White House and opens the door.

"I'm home!" He slams the door.

"Be careful with the door! We just got it repainted!" A woman with bleach blond hair and white capris on comes down. She walks up and hugs the boy.

"So how was school, Ryan?" She says in his ear.

"Oh it was fine, mum. I got a lot of homework though." Ryan responds.

"Well, I'll go make supper and you work on your homework. " she walks away. Ryan walks over to a big white table. He Emory's his back pack and shuffles though a mess of papers. He grabs a pink sheet and leans back into his chair.

"Awe crap. I forgot a penci- I picked one up on the way home!" He digs in his pocket and his hand grasps me. He violently pulls me out. I feel the tape around my body coming loose. Oh no. What's he gonna do to me?

He leans forward and begins to tap me on the table like a drumstick. Each tap sent pain flaring though my body. My body began to get large dents on it as he tapped me even more.

"Ryan! Supper!" An unfamiliar voice calls out. To me it seems like this voice is an angel because Ryan stopped tapping me against the table and left. He tossed me on the table funny and I roll off. Luckily I land on some soft white carpet. Then I hear some panting. The ground shakes. And then I feel drool dripping onto my face. My body is propped up between some paws. I can't believe this.

I'm being eaten by a dog. A dog! His paws move and get a sturdier grip on me and he bites down. His teeth go straight through me. I feel bits of me braking off.

"Kibble! What are you chewing on?!?!?" A low voice says. Kibble 'the dog' whines in response. I feel fingers grip my sore, broken body and pull me out of the dogs mouth. The fingers carry me away and I hear a metal squeal. And then I'm dropped into a garbage disposal. This is the end.