Prologue- A star fell from Heaven

It was the fifth of November in the year twothousand when a star disappeared from the sky: It had been a small star, barelyvisible. Everyone was asleep, and a thin layer of snow glowed yellow in thepale light of the streetlamps. No traffic roared by, no dogs barked, only thesound of snow crunching under small feet broke the silence. The air was cold,and fat snowflakes sprinkled down from the sky like white petals.             

          A large brick building sat at the end of theroad; It was weathered and the cement steps that led to the front door werechipped. The steel guard rail was rusted but still usable and the outline of asign long ago removed could still be seen on the front of the building. Alittle girl knocked on the door; she wore only a silk dress, with a thinblanket around her shoulders to protect her from the cold. Her lips were blueand her teeth chattered as she shook from the cold.

          The door opened to a woman who looked down atthe girl with concerned eyes. "A-are you S-Sandra Ma-Mackey?" the girlstuttered through frozen lips.

          "YesI am. Here, come inside. You'll catch your death of cold out there" the womansaid, ushering the girl into the warm house.

         "Th-thank you" the girl stuttered.

          "I'll get you a dry blanket" the woman saidbefore leaving. She came back a few moments later with a furry blanket in herarms. The small girl dropped her wet one to the floor and two small, whitewings could be seen folded against her back. The woman's eyes widened. "Who areyou?" she asked.

          "My name's Elira, my mommy said to come findyou. She said I'd be safe here" the small girl answered.

           "Safefrom what?" The woman wrapped the blanket around the girl, who looked up at herwith fearful eyes.

          "From the monsters."