Complete Story

Chapter One

"JC can you check the catalogs for the Chinese Dagger? It was supposed to arrive yesterday."

"Sure, I'm right on it." I smiled to Geoffrey.

"Thank you. We've been searching for it on all the shipments but it seems to be missing. We're sure they sent it, so it must be a mistake on our end that we don't find it."

"It says it was supposed to be on 25A."

"Thanks." He waved and went to the warehouse."

Disaster averted. I smiled to myself on the way home that evening.

"Hey mom, how's your back today?" I asked, giving her a kiss in the cheek.

"Hi baby. Not too painful, the elevator is working again. How was work?"

"I noticed. I wasn't looking forward to climb 20 levels at the end of a long day. The miscreats at work managed to misplace a dagger." I said with affection. I liked my co-workers. We've been working together for five years.

"You should invite them to dinner, dear."

"Hey squirt. How's school? Again mom? They've already been here last sunday." I spoke to both of them at the same time.

"Same old, same old. We had a test today. I'm sure I nailed it." She replied with a confidence I wish I had at 12.

"I'm sure you did, Melanie. I'm famished. What's for dinner?" The later said to no one especific.

"Roasted chicken with baked potatoes and spicy rice."

"Yum. I'll take a quick shower and I'll be right back.

I ran a bath, and I had just stepped inside the tub when the vision hit me.

The city flew fast beneath me, the rush of wind not enough to muffle the sound of beating wings. From the corner of my eye, I saw black fleshless wings, just like twigs covered in skin with a thin white membrane conecting them.

A sound made me look downards and a tum-tum made my mouth salivate. I must be hundreds of feet in the air, and still, I could see clearly below me. The sound drew me down and I floated lazily, until I saw my prey. A yound woman with dark hair, just entering an alley. I swoped down and grabbed her beneath the arms, carrying her up in the air with me. She screamed, and her fear was a sweet odor. I bit her neck hard, flesh and muscle giving way beneath my jaws. Delicious blood poured down my throat, but it wasn't enough. I flew down to an abandoned warehouse and entered it, still carrying the woman with me. I threw her to the floor and she begged for mercy. With an extended claw, I ripped off her shirt, leaving her bare to my eyes.

"No, please, no." she gurgled, looking at me with a crazed fear in her eyes. I liked it, it made my thirst rise even more. I kneeled in fron of her, and enjoyed her wild eyes trying to look everywhere but not seeing anything in the darkess. I hissed in hunger and bit her breast, she screamed and I laughed. Sucking her dry.

Suddenly I felt a blow in my mind, and I saw black eyes looking back into my own.

"Like theeeeeeee sssshow?" An alien voice asked in my mind, and with the fright I broke free of it.

What is this, what's happening, why am I seeing this? I thought in panic. Something's wrong, something's very wrong. I saw again the beasty eyes in front of me, coloured all in black, no pupil or irises, just black, and I heard it's horrible voice again.

"Like theeeeeeee sssshow?" I shivered and lowered more in the hot water, hoping the warmth would unfreeze my suddenly icy body. When I looked myself in the mirror again, I was ghostly pale, and looked terrified. Can't let them see me like this. I put on a bit of makeup to hide my palor and went to the dinner table, where my mom was feeding the baby and Melanie and Suzy were eating ravenously.