this (in)finite life

It started 20 years ago, people, mostly nerds, were searching for a way too put human brains on hard drives. 15 years ago they first started experimenting on living animals, such as mice and other small animals. 8 years ago they started experimenting on cows. 3 years ago on monkeys. And today they are experimenting on human beings. Not that I can call myself a human being. I'm Iris. Iris is the usual name they take for human breedings. I don't have a mother, atleast I don't think I can call a computer and some random cells my mother. I have a lot of information in my brain, to make me forget the feelings. But that is kind of hard when you're 15 years young. Even though I am a breeding and my mind is full of, what I think, useless information, I have feelings. I'm the first breeding in human history and I will also be the first human being (for some reason they do call me that) who will get an infinite life. I don't see why people want to live forever. If you want to live forever there are two ways, the scientists said. Carrying an old body forever or living in a computer with your thoughts. I've never wanted an infinite life, but I had no choices. So after today I'll just be a hard drive attached to a computer. I hope they can make the computer produce the same sound as I do right now. That's the only thing I actually love about myself, the rest is partly computer, or just ugly. 1 week ago I met a teenage boy. It was the first time I was in contact with a teenager and I'm not even talking about the fact that he was a boy. But, yuck, he smelled horrible. I dislike teenage boys so far. I know a lot about the world, my brain is programmed to know everything about it, including how it looks, even though I've never been in 99,9999999879% of these places. Enough about my life so far, life as an Iris isn't that interesting. But today everything will change, they said to me that I can time travel to the time when computers just got invented, or even later when the whole world depends on Iris's like me. As a teenage girl surrounded by guy scientists, who are probably all somewhere in the thirties/forties, I'm lucky when I get girls as visitors. Most of the time the girl visitors are journalists, who aren't my age but it's better than nothing. After lunch, even though I'm not allowed to eat because of the surgery, I'll have my last check and then the surgery starts. The thing that I'm most nervous about is the fact that I might lose my feelings when I'll change the human world for the computer world. Feelings are rough sometimes, but I couldn't live without them. Not that I think that I have a life when I'm in a computer, but, you know, I can atleast try to have one.