#1

Life. So precious and fragile. Like a snowflake that can melt when it lands on your finger, like a piece of paper that crumples to your touch, like withering flower in a dried up desert. All of that could be taken away in an instant, in a snap of a finger. All of that, gone...

3 years earlier~

     Lacey yelled. "Dad! Don't go!" Lacey's mother held her back. "I have to! I need to save your sister!" He yelled back while rushing inside the burning building. Lacey's little sister, Victoria, was 3 at the moment. Just imagining her, stuck in her crib. Wondering where is her family, gone? Just leaving her like that?. Crying and inhaling smoke, dying at each breath she takes. "Dad!" Lacey pushed her mother's arms away from her and rushed to the front entrance where her father was laying under a burning wooden beam, carrying Victoria in his outstretched arms. "Take her!" Dad gives Victoria to Lacey, as she kneels down in front of him. "Lacey! Stay back while I help your father!" Mom pushed me away. "I love you" My father says to Victoria and Lacey. "I love you" my mother replies as well, tears streaming down both of their faces. "No! Mom, dad! You can't leave me! I can't do this" Lacey replies as she frantically tries to soothe the crying baby in her arms, while Mom is trying the lift the beam, not caring if she burns her hands. "WAIT!" Lacey yells. The crack of another beam comes tumbling down onto her mother. "NO! She can't- He can't- They can't be dead!" She pushed away from the firefighters that were holding Victoria and Lacey away.

     A clutter of firefighters try to push the two beams off of the bodies. They do successfully, but not in record time. Their scorched, bruised, bodies are laying there, arm in arm, their last words to each other, "I love you". A female firefighter brings Victoria and Lacey to an Ambulance. Lacey sobs as of seeing her parents for the last time, her time with them, wasted. Regretting not saying "I love you" to her parents as much as she wanted to, regretting all the time that she had, wasted on shopping, regretting that... She never knew her time was limited...

     Lacey screams as a nurse takes her sister away. "Don't touch her! You can't!" She tried to get the grip from the nurses off of her wrists. Her nails cutting through their arm within every scratch she makes. The only family, taken away from her, gone... Just like her parents... "NO!" She struggled against the chaos of nurses trying to hold her back. She scratched, kicked, punched, and slapped. Nothing worked. Lacey started to give up. Slowly, her hope started to drain away, like their grip was some kind of vacuum, sucking it all up. Her eyes started to get heavy. One of the nurses thought this was an opportunity to knock her out. The darkness was taking over... Slowly.. Spots danced in her vision. Soon enough, half of her vision was complete darkness. All hope drained out, as the darkness took her away.

     She woke up in a white room. Remembering her parents, how they looked, dead, hollow, the life pounded out of them. The joy they once had was gone, the joy they had when they went out for ice cream, or rode a bike for the first time. The smiles on their faces. Her sister. Where is she now? At an orphanage possibly?

      A nurse in a ugly green gown entered the room. Not seeming to pay any attention to what she lost.  "Do you know how the fire started?" Her voice seemed to echo around the room. She started laughing. Her laughs sounded like she was glad, she smiled.

The nurses eyes widened then she ran out of the room, leaving me, laughing tears of joy and sadness.

All in a snap of a finger, many things can happen.

--------
Edited
09/25/2015
672 words