Chapter 1: "Voodoo Child"

Louisiana. Home of French-American culture and modern Voodoo witchcraft. These are the stereotypes associated with my home-state, and myself. Or, more specifically, with my family. 

But Mama just grew up that way, you know. A smooth mocha woman with a sharp French tongue and a destiny to follow in Mambo Rachelle's footsteps. It's how she was raised... how was raised... never knew any better and never aware there was a better to know of.

I took my distance when I reached 16, and a handsome, young Jewish boy from back east moved a few blocks from Mama's bakery. After school, I'd sneak off in between shifts when Mama was too distracted to notice and make-out with him under the pier. I was especially careful to never give my last name, nor a first, during our private outings. Around the county, I was notoriously known as Ms. Jaqueline Marie Lacroix, daughter of Adele Aubry Lacroix, granddaughter of Rachelle Esther Jolie Lacroix. 

But with him... with him I was just Molly Michaels: the innocent teenage adoptee of white liberal baptists Max & Katharine Michaels. I'd even gone as far as creating an equally elaborate sob-story about how I spent most of my childhood in abusive foster homes, and when the Michaels family saw me, they knew that God had blessed them with a miracle and wanted them to adopt me on the spot. 

But even so, He'd eventually come to tell me how his God and mine just weren't one in the same... and consequently, neither were we. 

Should've said I was Atheist.