1 ➳ Alone

Bryleigh

I grimaced at my appearance as soon as I got the chance to get a look at myself from a blood stained mirror. The black shirt that fit my figure perfectly hung on my shoulders with a few concealed dirt stains her and there.

My long black hair, which was in desperate need for a trim, was tangled and greasy. I hadn't had the chance to bathe for a while now and it defiantly was catching up with me.

I remember, when I was young, my mother would scold me for playing in the mud. Look at me now. The grotesque substance was unevenly caked up and down my body in enormous clumps. Some of it had managed to seep through my tight jeans. I cringed at the feeling.

A few groans were heard from outside, cause me to instantly grasp my bow and arrows. Pulling up the window, I raised the bent bow, with the arrow ready on the string, strained the bow, allowing the trenchant arrow to release into one of the stumbler's head.

My father had given me the glorious weapon when I was only a child and now, it was my prized possession. It symbolized all the loss I've had over the years. Every time someone would die, I carved their name into the hard wood, hoping that they were at peace.

Being responsible for someone's death, was like being trapped in an enormous perpetual cave that's wall got smaller and smaller as the guilt and pain increased.

It was a labyrinthine.

With every twist there was a death and every turn consisted of rotting corpses reaching out from every corner.

My labyrinth was inescapable.

It's confusing walls led me farther and farther from what mattered most, finding my father.

We had been separated months ago due to him leaving me.

He promised he'd come back, yet he never did.

"I'm going on a run," The bloodshot eyes that had belonged to my father flashed in every direction. "I'll be right back."

It was obvious he had been drinking because of all the anxiety he had experienced in the past week.

I couldn't help him. Every time I tried, he'd push me farther and farther away.

I was just a distant memory in his eyes.

Yet, I couldn't blame him for all the pain he had been feeling.

Mom was long gone, he refused to believe it.

I just wish that I would've stopped him from going.

Maybe he'd still be here.

-

I yanked out my arrow from the corpse's corrupted brain with euphoria.

"2,562." I grinned and added a tally mark on my arm to record in my journal later.

I had nothing better to do than count every single stumbler I had ever killed. You see, for some reason, I had always believed that when you kill one, it's soul is set free. The spiritual theory made me feel better in more ways than one.

The gorgeous sky began to set as the day came to a close, causing bursts of colors such as orange and pink to arise from the mere distance.

It was a foreign feeling, seeing so much beauty in a hopeless place.

The sky was undoubtably magnificent, the way the horizon shone with grace as dusk approached slowly.

Maybe all hope wasn't lost, yet I couldn't manage to believe it.

It was indeed, hopeless.

Such beauty in this world should be treasured and appreciated whilst it's still in the midst of disappearing.

Everything was nothing but a shadow that had abruptly disappeared after light had approached or in my case, love.

Love had caused my family's shadows to disappear with their lives.

Love left me to dissolve with the shadow of my perpetual past.

A/N: Could I maybe get some feedback? It'd mean a lot! Thanks for reading! XD