Chapter 1: A Road Less Traveled- Finn

A familiar song broke the silent air. My eyes opened slowly as my mouth let out a groan. I turned over to angle myself closer to the nightstand next to my bed. My hand grasped into the open air until my phone was in my hand. I yanked it off the charger and slid the green bubble across the screen to answer it.

"Hello?" I asked sleepily.

"Finn. It's Will. What are you up to this evening?"

"Nothing why? " I asked wondering why he was calling in the middle of the night.

" Great. Could you meet me at Harper's after rehearsal tonight?"

"Harper's?"

"The new little dinner over on first."

"Yeah sure. "

"Awesome. I have a few things I want to discuss with you. Sorry for calling so late."

"No problem." I said before hearing the other line go dead. I rolled over falling back to sleep.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hours later, I was dressed and walked into a room full of students. Marley Rose was talking to Ryder and had her back turned to her boyfriend, Noah who was very obviously flirting with Kitty. Deep in my heart I knew this meant trouble but continued observing the room. Unique was fixing her hair in a small hand mirror. Will was writing the assignment on the board. I made my way to my seat where I zoned out and half listened to the chatter around me. I knew what the assignment was and everyone signed up with their time and song. Before I knew it, the room was empty and Will was putting his stuff together.

"Ready?" he asked as he was shutting the lights off. I shrugged and followed him out of the school. We both drove to a small diner on 1st Street. It had the classic dinner look with a large green canopy over red bricks. There was a large window covering most of the front wall. They're was a set of green French doors to get in. Once we got through the French doors, it seemed like a blast from the past. The floor is composed of alternating black and white tiles. It is a large dinner with two seating rooms. A large counter stretched the back wall covering the kitchen and surrounded by shiny stools with red leather tops. A girl I'd recognized from the halls of McKinley led us to a red booth in the corner. The table (like the counter I noticed) was a glass top with old photographs under it. I could tell I was going to like this place.

The blond high school host handed us each a menu before sauntering away in her baby blue dress and apron. Will composed himself as he flipped through the menu. I picked out a bacon double cheeseburger, fries and a soda before folding my menu and setting it in front of me.

"How are you, Finn?" Will asked still reading his menu. "You were quiet at rehearsal tonight."

"Yea I'm fine. I just have a lot on my mind." I answered shifting in my spot.

"Rachel?" He asked inquisitively.

" Yes. Since I started classes at the University of Lima and we made up.... I've been thinking about her."

" Have you thought of how to get her back?"

"No, I don't think she would no matter what I do."

" What if you settled down here?"

"Doesn't that defeat the purpose?"

"No. Not settle down like get married. I mean like buying a house and just setting your roots here permandently."

" Oh! That's a good idea!"

A young red head came up to our table. She smiled at us her emerald eyes sparkling.