Eternity broken

This is a story version of the song terrible things, by mayday parade. I do not own the song, or the band name. I just love finding new ways that music can integrate itself with other forms of art and real life. I'm open for opinions, constructive criticism, ideas for new stories, etc. just comment at the bottom, and let me know.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

She couldn't be gone. It was impossible. They had vowed to be together forever. But now, staring at the tumultuous seas below the rocky cliff upon which the young man sat, in his black suit, meant for a wedding but used only once for a funeral, the once shiny shoes now scuffed. he saw the vast emptiness of the ocean and horizon beyond, realizing it was true. The tree behind him, creaking, groaning in the wind, was as dead as she was. The moment it hit him, his life changed drastically. He stared down, down at the rocks below, with the waves falling into them, and the flashbacks drove into him like two ton nails.

The day he met her, she was wearing a light blue sweater, fall was just beginning. Their first kiss, as the winter snow had just began to fall. He could still feel the cold flakes settling gently upon his face, and he brushed her hair from In front of her eyes, slowly leaning in. then, the darkness of a stormy fall evening. He slowly kneeled, with the small ring, bought with his life's savings, in his hand. She turned from the waves crashing below, and gave a slight gasp, her deep, pure green eyes growing wide. He spoke. 'I've had the best year of my life, and I want to spend the rest of my life like I have for these past months. Will you marry me?'

Her eyes fell to the ground. He rose, and asked what was wrong. She said to him, 'I'm sorry I haven't told you this, and I can't bear to now. I went to the doctor last week. Apparently, um, I have cancer. They said I only have a few more weeks to live.'

He fell back to his knees, slowly. The ring, so bright, so beautiful, fell to the ground, landing in the dirt, now tarnished. She continued' please don't be sad, you were the greatest thing that ever happened to me' she leaned in, and brushing his hair away from his eyes, blue, and watery, the glint that was once there, now gone, and kissed him, softly, gently on the lips.

He opened his eyes, and saw once more the ocean, and the rocks below. But, as the horizon grew fiery, and the first crisp light of a winter morning rose with the sun, a new light rose too in his eyes. He stood, and turned. Turned from the old dead tree, gray with lichens and moss. Turned from the now gently crashing waves on the smooth rocks of the shore below. Turned from his last memories of her, and walked away.